1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Gay Teen Suicide...Jadin Bell of La Grande, OR

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Rakkaus, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Bullied Gay Teen Hangs Himself in Oregon Schoolyard: VIDEO| News | Towleroad

[​IMG]

Sad that this just keeps happening and happening. At the very least we should keep each and every one of these victims in our collective memories so that their young lives are not forgotten. :tears:

But I'm not sure how we can get these kids the help they so desperately need. Thousands of kids like Jadin Bell are being bullied in conservative small towns across America, like this one, but we only hear their story when it's too late to do anything about it... :confused:

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Excuse my language but this shit needs to stop. Anyone who bullies someone to the point of suicide should be held accountable just as if they shot someone with a gun or stabbed with a knife.

When are people going to learn???? :tears:

3. HP7465213

Totally agree with you on that one. Why do people place so much importance on all of our differences? It's the 21st century. People are who they are. These bullies, whoever they were should be punished by law. This poor kid and his friends and family are in my prayers.

4. Motov

Or another Colombine can happen, I do admit when I was a bully target in that Upstate NY town I did entertain thoughts of mass murder and really wanted to carry it out The only thing that stopped me was the fact I only had a short time until my nightmare would end.

5. HadesReborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whole heartily agree with you. I don't understand what it will take before people start taking note and understand what their bigotry and homophobia is doing to people. It sickens me that people push others to this. His family, friends and soul are in my prayers.

6. And to think somewhere a preacher, a man who was supposed to represent a just and loving god, a politician, a leader of the people, and countless people who should have a heart are saying that he will be sent to hell (while bullies walk). I have never been more ashamed to be human.

7. Oothatsnice

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arrghhh god dam bullies just WHY! Whish i could help all bullied people :frowning2:

8. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Exactly!!!

9. Cthulhu

My thoughts go out to the family. This is really tragic news. :frowning2:

10. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    It's equally as heartbreaking every time I see these articles. How such innocent teenagers with their whole life ahead of them find the need to end their life because of the taunts of bullies and thugs who for some reason want them to feel less worth.

I wish Jadin had have talked to somebody and asked for help before doing the one thing that can't be undone. Just a shame his suffering had to end this way. RIP Jadin.

11. FunnyMonkey

This is really sad and need to stop!!

12. -Michael-

The bullies should be found and held for man slaughter, trailed as adults and prosecuted appropriately.

Kids think they're invincible to everything, including the law.
    If there was a risk of imprisonment for bullying i don't think we'd have these stories.

13. I completely agree. I am also praying for the victims of these tragedies. Many kids have been raised to the point that they don't care about anyone else but themselves. It needs to stop. I don't want this happen anymore. I wish that anyone that was bullied to the point of death could be brought back. We care. Frankly, most people do not.

14. Dynamite

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am sorry to read that.

RIP

15. Emberblaze

Did those bullies put the rope in this kids hand? No. Did the bullies wrap the rope around his neck? No. That kid did what he chose on account of his OWN decisions.

That's the kind of responses that many of these deaths get sometimes, and it really is a damn shame that people think that. (To clarify, I do NOT agree with that statement I just made about the bullies not puttin the rope in his hand).

They say sticks and stones break bones, but words don't ever hurt. Well that's a fucking lie. I don't know WHEN that rule ever applied to life, but it's never been true. Words have become WEAPONS, a power that we can use for good or bad. Some people will KILL with their words, and others will try to save with their words.

If only we COULD reach out to these youth... Hey, I propose we make an "It gets better video"! A bunch of EC users can share their personal stories and all and we could compile it into one big video and make sure this video goes VIRAL!
    Anybody with me on this? I think we actually CAN make a difference, an albeit small one, but if we can reach out to at least ONE person...

Any takers?

16. returning

:frowning2:That's horrible:icon_sad:

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This situation, and dozens or hundreds like it, are a big part of what Bryce and JD, who started EC in its current form, were trying to help change when they created it in 2004.

I agree and disagree with what Emberblaze said. Suicide is always a personal decision and no one ever forces someone to kill themselves. But at the same time, someone who, day after day, experiences a life that's miserable, and they see no other way out, may not feel like they have any other options.

Creating videos such as the "It Gets Better" project is one way.

Starting a GSA at your local school or community center, or helping an existing one get more widely known is another.

Telling everyone you know about EC is another. At any given time, EC has dozens of suicidal or near-suicidal people, and it is the strength of this community that has helped many of them.

Finally, educating anyone who comes in contact with teens about the statistics surrounding gay suicide helps. A gay teen is between 2 and 3 and a half times more likely to attempt suicide than his or her straight cohorts. Twice or three times as likely. That statistic alone should be a wake-up call to every teacher, guidance counselor, sports team coach, and every other adult who interacts with children and teens.

We can make a difference, but we have to speak out to do it.

18. MixedNutz

Such a shame. Sad.

19. Emberblaze

Ahem, so i can chalk that down as at least ONE person in the "let's make an It's Get Better" boat

I do believe we could all make a difference if we make a large enough video and make it viral enough. Put it on youtube, facebook, snapchat or instegram (I don't even know how those work though) or twitter or myspace or whatEVER. Whatever it takes

20. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

This breaks my heart. I wasn't bullied much due to the fact that everyone knew i could kick their ass. I wish people would find someone to help them, their are people that can take care of the bullies for them. These suicides have got to stop.