Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th Jan 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Well Known

Orientation: Gay

Default Wyoming Domestic Partnership Fails

Wyoming House defeats domestic partnership bill

The final vote was 25-34 with 1 excused.
17/52 Republicans voted for the measure.
8/8 Democrats voted for the measure.

34/52 Republicans voted against the measure
1 Republican was excused because of root canal.

I believe the next time this issue can come up is 2015. Which means it will be after the elections. Also, half of the Senate will also be up for elections. The Governorship will also be up for election too. Governor Matt Mead will be eligible to run for re-election, but has so far not announced if he will do so.
Whiteboymdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Banned

Orientation: Boy-Crazy Faggot

Default Re: Wyoming Domestic Partnership Fails

I called it in that other thread. Nothing was actually going to happen in a red state like Wyoming, so I hope nobody got their hopes up. Gay rights is never going to be advanced anywhere as long as Republicans are in power.
Rakkaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Well Known
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkaus View Post
I called it in that other thread. Nothing was actually going to happen in a red state like Wyoming, so I hope nobody got their hopes up. Gay rights is never going to be advanced anywhere as long as Republicans are in power.
If you would have told me that it was going to get 25 votes I would have called you crazy. I believe if we get rid of some members in the 2014 elections I believe that this will be able to pass the House in 2015. Now with the word marriage... you are on your own with that one. But I really think this could have a shot in the future. We need to thank the 25 who voted fo this and we need to keep them in the House or move them into the Senate.
Old 30th Jan 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
EC Addict

Out Status: Out to most people

My representative, Bob Nicholas (R) Cheyenne, actually voted for it.
DMark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 09:28 PM   #5
EC Addict

Orientation: All I know is that I like girls
Out Status: Friends, Immediate family, and Facebook

wow you have an extremely unbalanced group of representatives. I am sorry. You could always move here to Washington with me? We just made same-sex marriage legal.

madi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Well Known
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark69 View Post
My representative, Bob Nicholas (R) Cheyenne, actually voted for it.
Yes, I had a star next his name in my roll call vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi View Post
wow you have an extremely unbalanced group of representatives. I am sorry. You could always move here to Washington with me? We just made same-sex marriage legal.
Well I mean we need to think about this...

Washington is very liberal compared to Wyoming.
Old 30th Jan 2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Formerly Alex2020
EC Moderator

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: To some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboymdew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkaus View Post
If you would have told me that it was going to get 25 votes I would have called you crazy.
This, pretty much. Though I never expected the measure to succeed, I didn't think it would garner as many votes as it did, considering the extent to which Republicans control the Wyoming legislature.

Interesting little fact: Nearly 33% of House Republicans voted for this measure, while in New York, less than 13% of Senate Republicans voted for that state's marriage equality bill. (I know it's comparing a house and a senate, but Wikipedia didn't have the voting record for the NY House on that bill, only the Senate!)
Old 31st Jan 2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Well Known
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboymdew View Post

If you would have told me that it was going to get 25 votes I would have called you crazy.
This, pretty much. Though I never expected the measure to succeed, I didn't think it would garner as many votes as it did, considering the extent to which Republicans control the Wyoming legislature.

Interesting little fact: Nearly 33% of House Republicans voted for this measure, while in New York, less than 13% of Senate Republicans voted for that state's marriage equality bill. (I know it's comparing a house and a senate, but Wikipedia didn't have the voting record for the NY House on that bill, only the Senate!)

3 Republicans in the state house voted for the marriage bill in New York.
Republicans have controlled the legislature since 1967. I don't see that changing anytime soon. However after the elections Republicans gained a couple of seats in the house and kept the same majority in the Senate.

I mean so 25 is a shocking number... 8 of those were Democrats. However, I still see a pathway for this legislation in the future.
Old 1st Feb 2013, 02:34 PM   #9

Out Status: it's like the closet door is made out of steel

In the past month domestic partnership, anti-discrimination, and gay marriage bills have all been brought to the Wyoming legislature, and even though they all failed, just the fact that they received a very good amount of support (I would say) in the most republican- controlled legislature in the United States, is amazing. This is what progress looks like(I know it's hard to see that since they all failed, but think about what I just said! IT'S THE MOST REPUBULICAN-CONTROLLED LEGISLATURE!)
Old 1st Feb 2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Well Known
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenjack View Post
In the past month domestic partnership, anti-discrimination, and gay marriage bills have all been brought to the Wyoming legislature, and even though they all failed, just the fact that they received a very good amount of support (I would say) in the most republican- controlled legislature in the United States, is amazing. This is what progress looks like(I know it's hard to see that since they all failed, but think about what I just said! IT'S THE MOST REPUBULICAN-CONTROLLED LEGISLATURE!)
In 2011 the anti-discrimation bill came up and it failed in the house by 9. In 2013, this year it came up in the senate and failed by 4. Domestic Partnership failed this year by like 7. So I mean yes it is a Republican controlled legislature, BUT to see that many approve of these pieces of legislation is just crazy. This is newly historical. Giving the impact it could have send. I mean you don't see Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, Georgia, Kansas, who are all pretty conservative passing such domestic partnership laws. However I mean its just insane. I never would have seen 25