1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a-plea-to-scouts-don't-let-the-BAD-GUYS-WIN...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Deaf Not Blind, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Deaf Not Blind

2. Tim

Tim

The comments on that page...

:bang:

3. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The comment section is filled with some of the dumbest things I have ever seen. I especially like how "Morally straight" apparently refers to heterosexuality and not being a good person.

4. Deaf Not Blind

I always thought the word moral meant doing good, and in Bible the Straight and Narrow was the pathway of Jesus to heaven...not satan's way.

This is their interpretation.

But I saw one part a quote said boy members we should not want to walk around out and proud and telling other boys exposing them to homosexuality. But they can't hide it from kids forever, they will see it on news or hear jokes. Better they not think it is funny and be hurting others, as that is not moral.

5. Cthulhu

The reason why I don't read the Yahoo! comments section (or ESPN/TSN).

6. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I understand their interpretation, it's just so stupid it makes Scientology look rational.

Alright, not exactly that far.

7. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think I've seen anything like that before. It makes all the commenters look pretty stupid, like they're all stuck in the 70's or something.

8. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't be so mean to the 70's. These people are stuck in the 20's.

9. That website is stuck in the wrong century, yo!

But, uhm, wow. How childish and ignorant. I hope that they allow homosexual troop leaders and scouts. If not, well, that's a bunch of crud.

10. Deaf Not Blind

currently i think you get kicked out of some troupes. It is wierd cuz there is some uniformity and some allowance for your perspective. in my scout troupe the leader warned us they have a Jew and if we are uncomfy to get into the other scout troupe who did not accept her. Christians only. I had no idea scouting was Christian. i was fine with it. she was a weird girl though, really kept her mouth shut. we didn't have Christimas cards cuz leader didn't want her left out...so just holiday card. I think maybe we could had both. I think really it is just the propaganda that kids will get hurt either by a perv molester who had joined with sole purpose to corrupt or rape kids. or that the gay boy will teach all the others to go gay.

maybe nice Christian gay boys should write in saying what they really would do in a scout troupe? if they only know that gays wear dresses and talk high voices and turn straights gay...then of course they are protecting their kids from that predator...they don't know truth.

11. SparkDT

The user comments on the news page make me sick.

12. Last Gentleman

The Worldwide Scouting Movement is NOT Christian.
    It requires a spiritual belief.

In Australia, the promise I took was to "do my duty to myself, to MY god and to the Queen of Australia"

Note the MY part in there. Meaning it doesn't matter WHAT belief I have, as long as I have it. For the record, on my paperwork I wrote down Buddhism and was accepted as a leader.
    I've not publicly come out yet, but I did see an article of an interview where it was detailed that Scouts Australia DOES NOT discriminate and open gays are accepted. Individuals may be kicked out or not accepted based on offensive sexual behaviour, but that applies equally to straight people (ie, being gay is fine as long as you don't wear leather chaps and tongue your bf in front of the scouts).

Boy Scouts of America has some learning to do. I hope they do changes their rules.

13. Deaf Not Blind

Boy Scouts of America membership controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, my Girl Scout oath was: "On my honor, I will try, to serve God, my country, to help people at all times, and to live by the Girl Scout Law"
    Since that pretty much summed up what kind of "boy" I was...hehe...no problem taking that oath, and I still mean to obey it. I love to serve others! I do not see anything about gender or gayness in it however.

In my initiation in ceremony which I thought was funny, we each had to say one line of the law.

This is the entirety:
    The Girl Scout Law

I will do my best to be:
    honest and fair,
    friendly and helpful,
    considerate and caring,
    courageous and strong,
    and
    responsible for what I say and do,
    and to
    respect myself and others,
    respect authority,
    use resources wisely,
    make the world a better place, and
    be a "sister to every Girl Scout."

Now, in that law is there any evil? No. Yet there seems to be some who say they have to exclude groups like gays or Jewish girls too. I don't see how that is possible since it said God...not Christian God...which is same God actually...we worship the Jewish God!

It is interesting it said some boys are allowed in Girl Scouts as I have not seen any...ever. And yet the Boy Scouts still do not allow girls. (They only separated it in beginning cuz girls were interested in Boy Scouts and the era had in 1800s women often separate from men in things...although some co-ed stuff did exist.)

14. Last Gentleman

In Australia it's no longer the "Boy Scouts". It's just the "Scouts" with a pretty even mix of girls to boys. Girl Guides however is still 100% girls.

15. BiWidow

I think this policy is wrong and should have been repealed a long time ago. I can't understand how gay marriage is legal in Canada but in the US, they can't even join the scout movement. How screwed up is that?

16. Ianthe

You guys want to say they are stuck in conservative history, and the decades you pick are the 70s and the 20s? :roflmao:

As in the Free Love 70s and the Roaring 20s?

Those are like, the two most inappropriate decades you could have chosen out of the whole 20th century. I'd have gone with the 50s myself.

17. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just a slight correction... Scouting is Christian in the United States. In many other counties (not all), scouting is simply 'spiritually-based', with no mention of how it is to expressed, so the above conversation would probably not have taken place. Many troops have mixed religions, and they still openly practise their various beliefs within it. Nobody would blink at it. Christmas cards would still be passed out and the Jewish girl would get one too, who would accept it graciously. It's simply an act of kindness. The Jewish girl might reciprocate by showing the others some of her holiday traditions at the appropriate time, perhaps some Hanukkah games and passing out candy. No big deal.

I find the scouting atmosphere in the US a bit uptight and xenophobic sometimes.

18. Incognito10

What I find baffling is the fact that I was in several different troops when I was younger and most of the scouts did not profess their faith, most did not go to church and religion didn't really play a big role other than reciting the obscure line of "...duty to god..." in the oath or whatever it is (don't even remember anymore). Why are the scouts worried about this one specific thing? If they are true to the Christian faith, why don't they also require church membership and do other "Chrisitan check-ups" on their troop members? It just goes back to the concept of picking and choosing which biblical concepts they [churches and other organizations] wish to adhere to and reinforce.

19. Eric

Just a quick note: I don't think Girl Scouts has the same discriminatory policies. As far as BSA goes though, it's essentially a Christian-only organisation so they also discriminate against nonbelievers. I don't really have a problem with that, but they get a long list of special benefits from the government. If they want to keep those benefits, they need to adapt their policies to be more inclusive.

20. HelmetBoi

I noticed that too, sadly some people interpret many things in ways that suit their own needs rather than ways that are logical and sensible.

I couldn't read more than 3 of the comments without closing the page, those moronic fuckwits don't make me ashamed to be gay but they do make me ashamed to be a human being. :icon_sad: