1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama delivers fervently religious message w/group supporting Uganda's Kill Gays Bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Deaf Not Blind, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deaf Not Blind

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Re: Obama delivers fervently religious message w/group supporting Uganda's Kill Gays

Terrible that Obama went through with this. Why is the President giving a speech at an Evangelical Christian National Prayer Breakfast? Most people there probably hate him anyway.

3. Reptillian

Re: Obama delivers fervently religious message w/group supporting Uganda's Kill Gays

So, his past stance on gay marriage was a ploy all along? I knew it.

4. Pain

Pain Guest

Is there any transcript of the speech? Just because he didn't address one issue and talks about religion doesn't mean that he doesn't support LGBTQ*. Some religion and GSM are completely compatible, and just speaking at this event doesn't give us an entire view of Obama's own beliefs.

5. Fiddledeedee

He's been pretty strong in support previously. I'm not sure that an omission in a speech, which may have been for diplomatic reasons rather than not supporting gays, is something to be up in arms over.

6. Deaf Not Blind

He wants bi-partisanship support on some controversial bill in near future perhaps?? but evidently not a pro gay or transgender law. :/

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 01:51 PM ----------

His wife finger spelled to a deaf kid, a Deaf man signed to him and he waved ILY sign back. He ended up getting the gay and the Deaf vote...he is neither. He never visited our school, that Lincoln the Emancipator signed into existence, which is walkable from the White House really. I never trust a lawyer or politician...what is he? Famous.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 01:52 PM ----------

As I said, in that article is an underlined word which should show you his speech. It works, here is link: http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/...tional-prayer-breakfast/?mod=google_news_blog
    Now read and then tell me your opinion.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 02:13 PM ----------

Analysis: Controversy looms again for National Prayer Breakfast - USATODAY.com

This is interesting...
    The GOP

Excerpt: Tying Gays to Hitler, Advocating Criminalization
    While anti-gay rhetoric is commonplace among Religious Right activists, Fischer has consistently propagated the most degrading and malicious attacks against gays and lesbians. Fischer has likened gays to domestic terrorists, pedophiles, slave traders and murderers, and decried the adoption of children by gay parents as a “terrible, inexcusable, inhumane thing to do to children.”

Fischer’s roots in anti-gay bigotry go back to his days as head of the Idaho Values Alliance, when he promoted Scott Lively, the former head of AFA’s California chapter. Lively’s book, The Pink Swastika,blames gays for the rise of fascism and the Holocaust.

On Focal Point, Fischer not only defends Lively, but espouses the view that gays were responsible for the Nazi Party and the Holocaust. According to Fischer:

Hitler recruited around him homosexuals to make up his stormtroopers, they were his enforces, they were his thugs, and Hitler discovered that he could not get straight soldiers to be savage, and brutal, and vicious enough to carryout his orders, but that homosexual soldiers basically had no limits in the savagery and brutality they were willing to inflict on whoever Hitler sent them after. So he surrounded himself, virtually all of the stormtroopers, the brownshirts, were male homosexuals.

Furthermore, Fischer has argued that “the dots are pretty easy to connect” between gays and the Holocaust and that Hitler himself was a “gay prostitute” who championed the “homosexual agenda.” “The Nazi Party would not have been possible without homosexuals in the brownshirts, they were the ones that kind of administered the lethal force on Hitler’s behalf to solidify his power in Germany,” Fischer said, “and then of course the Nazis gave us six million dead Jews and the Holocaust.”

Fischer later went even further, claiming that gays and lesbians are literally Nazis and will launch a new Spanish Inquisition in the United States and “do the same thing to you that the Nazis did to their opponents in Nazi Germany”:

I mean, ladies and gentlemen, they are Nazis. Homosexual activists, when it comes to freedom of speech, are Nazis. When it comes to freedom of religion, they are Nazis. There is no room in their world dissent, there is no room in their world for disagreement, there is no room in their world for criticism. You criticize homosexual behavior, they tag you as a bigot and a homophobe and then they got to work to silence you just like the Roman Catholic Church did in the days of Galileo -- it's no different; it's the Spanish Inquisition all over again.

Ladies and gentlemen, they are Nazis. Do not be under any illusions about what homosexual activists will do with your freedoms and your religion if they have the opportunity. They'll do the same thing to you that the Nazis did to their opponents in Nazi Germany.

Fischer’s anti-gay rhetoric has come close to calls for violence. While retelling the biblical story of Phinehas, Fischer said “nation had lapsed into rampant sexual immorality -- I don’t know if that sounds familiar to you, it certainly does to me” – but was redeemed after Phinehas killed a couple caught “in flagrante.” The message of the story, Fischer said, is that what “God is obviously looking for is more Phinehases in our day” and for “each one of us be a Phinehas in our own world and in our own generation.”

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 02:15 PM ----------

Additionally, all kids should continue to be bullied, kill the bill to stop it, cuz it is a gay-maker: Bullying: Blame the Gays
    Fischer is one of the most outspoken advocates in the Religious Right’s campaign to stop anti-bullying policies in schools. Religious Right leaders oppose these policies because they protect gay and gay-perceived students from bullying. Fischer claims that bullying-prevention programs will be used for the “brainwashing” of children to make them gay, arguing that “homosexuals cannot reproduce, so they have to recruit; it’s the only way to swell their numbers.” For example, Fischer believes that the television show Glee is “glamorizing homosexual behavior” and “promoting deviant sexuality,” as well as idolatry.

Fischer’s solution to anti-gay bullying is to make gay and lesbian youth become straight so they will no longer be “tormented by same-sex attraction.” “If we want to see fewer students commit suicide, we want fewer homosexual students,” Fischer said. “It is a cruel thing to help a sexually confused student walk down a path that leads to darkness rather than urge him to choose a path that leads to light.”

Responding to the suicide of gay Rutgers student Tyler Clementi, Fischer claimed that Clementi committed suicide because he knew intuitively that homosexuality “was contrary to his own deep sense of what is right and what is wrong” and “likely died full of guilt and shame.” Fischer, who has said that gays should be “ashamed” and “embarrassed,” contends that the “deviancy cabal” is responsible for suicide among gay youth and that “homosexual activists are not wholly innocent in these tragedies.” He elaborates:

#6 Deaf Not Blind, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  7. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Considering that the Fellowship Foundation is not centered around opposition to GSMs, not even mentioning it on their website (unlike many other such groups), and Obama's speech was unrelated to any such issues, this seems like a rather bold claim to make based on this speech.

Of course Obama's announcement of support for gay marriage was a political ploy. So was his earlier opposition. I am sure that he actually does support same-sex marriage, but, should he have thought it politically prudent to keep hiding his support, he would have continued doing so. He supported it in 1996, when most people did not. I'd bet that he's supported it since then, but decided to hide it for his 1998 congressional run and his senate and first presidential runs.

8. Eric

The speech is no more "fervently religious" than you would expect at an event named the National Prayer Meeting, and the fact that he didn't address the Uganda situation isn't any indication the he supports the Kill the Gays bill. I don't see the speech as much more than pandering, to be honest. Am I disappointed that he chose to attend? Absolutely. Do I think his presence at the event is a sign that he opposes LGBT rights issues? Not in the least.

For the record, Obama's stated position is that same sex marriage is a state issue, and that he supported civil unions that grant equal legal rights to marriages. His coming out in support of marriage equality using the term marriage was a result of Joe Biden's support.

9. Re: Obama delivers fervently religious message w/group supporting Uganda's Kill Gays

Barack Obama is a low and dirty politician and a coward, he gives liberalism and the Democratic Party a bad name and didn't come out as pro-inclusion (because it would have hurt him politically) until his VP forced him into it.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 07:58 PM ----------

Addition: Martin Luther King said: "The opposite of love is not hate but apathy." On every issue Obama has been patently apathetic, on gay rights he was"evolving" until Biden forced his hand, on gun control he waited through about a dozen mass shootings before he said a thing, on immigration he did nothing for reform, until he needed to secure the Latino vote. etc. Ad though he may be better than his Republican counterparts he is far from the best man to be leader of the free world.

10. photoguy93

I am a big Obama supporter, but I will try and see both sides here.

I agree that he shouldn't have done this. However, I read that it was the 5th time he's done this. For better or for worse, it is how the media portrays it. National Prayer Breakfast: Obama cites quest for humility, hope for goodwill - CSMonitor.com

It's been a long line of Presidents that have done it. He is trying to be bipartisan. I mean....... I think it's bad, but it might be a REALLY big deal if he didn't. I, personally, would rather he go and *maybe* change the minds of some big old bigots, than let them keep going.

11. starfish

Holy shit. Only 6 posts until Hitler was mentioned.

I've been on the internet for 20 years, and this is the quickest I've ever seen. It might just be a new record.

12. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's bad that people assume because he hasn't made it public then therefore he's there to discuss it with the political masters in private.''and that automatically makes him in favor.." It gets out of control

Why the hell do you think the president went there for lunch? You don't fight religious nuts with force, you make talks with them in private and discuss it in a civil manner.

If you push a fundamentalist christian too hard they become extremely defensive and may end up opposing you. Think about it people! between the lines, so to speak, not just the tabloid in the newspaper.

and you sure as hell aren't going to convince a crowd of 5,000 people that your logical, secular thinking is better than fundamentalism. They could take to the streets and turn into another Iraq, shooting gays in the street and burning them.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 09:28 PM ----------

The same thing happened in Billy Grahms church but with more extreme culture and government, and we all know the WBC, and there is no convincing them either.

Just forget that he made a stupid promise that wouldn't have kept anything but saving some pride. There isn't much we can do about it now unless things become out of hand, which they will.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 09:38 PM ----------

then we do for them what we did for El Salvador in the 1980's. n_n

#12 Shadowsettler, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  13. Deaf Not Blind

He didn't think it a big deal to not put hand over heart and say plege of allegeance as so many former presidents have...so i think deviance from the norm he can handle...i think this was not a case of not breaking tradition...i think he plans on a vote coming up he needs more GoP to sign on. My opinion only.

14. PeteNJ

Can I suggest reading about this from a real, serious news source:

At Prayer Breakfast, Obama Issues Call for Humility - NYTimes.com

There is/was one whack job in Uganda who was associated with The Fellowship in Uganda, who had something to do with the anti gay bill. But that seems to be an outlier, that's not their agenda at all.

15. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

The world of politics is fraught with implications and slippery slopes. in the political world this is tantamount to his supporting the Ugandan Bill. Just as Republicans and Democrats are stereotyped because of the actions of their fellow party members, Obama is portrayed based on the views of those he associates with.

16. Deaf Not Blind

Im Christian and vote GOP often cuz i hate abortion. I find it fun to pick on extreemists with wacky faith...like predictions of earth ending! Oh i really made a friend's aunt dislike me by telling her facts from her own Bible that clearly proved she was wrong and we would not perish in 2012. Oh yeah pushing buttons is fun. She didnt believe what i said cuz some famous fanatic with godly magazine was unshakable. Haha! I won!!

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 07:30 PM ----------

True that.
    So if I have too many gay men as my buddies does it mean im a gay man too? Or does society just judge that way. And even if wrong, does it often work out as true?

17. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Society judges people based on assumptions and perceptions until those assumptions and perceptions are challenged and proven false. Vary rare is the person whose initial idea of someone is based on assumptions and perceptions.

18. photoguy93

Why is everyone so quick to judge? I mean, DOMA was put into law when Clinton was in office. Are you going to say he's a homophobe? Are we going to say that Hillary, one of the most powerful women in our world, is a homophob because she didn't protest enough?

No. Although we are making great strides, we have to pick and choose our battles. Now, if Obama was having lunch with the head of the WBC, and had him over for dinner every weekend, then we can blow.

This is bad - and I hope The President does take this into consideration. But we have to look at all sides of this.

19. Motov

POLITICS,..Poli means many,....Tics are blood sucking parasites
    My vote goes to a candidate who wants to shrink Government, less government equals more freedom for the rest of us.

20. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't mind early trimester abortions as long as there's a reason to have it, and that usually means complications. I wouldn't let a woman die to uterean complications or whatever. I would gladly lose my doctoring licence or what-have-you.

People think that contraception is a problem too. Birth control does more for a woman than controlling birth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.