1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School Fights to Ban Gay Students From Prom

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Steelers91, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Steelers91

A group of Indiana-based parents, teens and even a teacher is fighting for a separate "traditional" prom that would ban gay students.

As NBC 2/My Wabash Valley is reporting, special education teacher Diana Medley is defending a group of Sullivan High School students who are arguing in favor of the alternate prom.

"Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them," Medley told the news station. "It's the same thing with my special needs kids; I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason."

When asked whether or not gay people have a "purpose" in life, Medley added, "No, I honestly don't. Sorry, but I don't ... A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God."

Medley was just one of several parents, students and others who reportedly met Feb. 10 at the Sullivan First Christian Church demanding that gay students be barred from attending the dance. "We want to make the public see that we love the homosexuals, but we don't think it's right nor should it be accepted," one local student is quoted as saying.

Meanwhile, a Facebook page, "Support The Sullivan High School Prom For All Students," has sprung up in defense of the school's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender student body. At present, the page has over 1,000 likes.

Among those to sound off on the news is LGBT activist Dan Savage, who wrote in his blog:

"There's no way to stop the haters at Sullivan High School from holding an independent prom for the special bigoted kids. But here's what we can do: we can make a noise so loud enough that all the queer kids at Sullivan High School hear it. Those kids need to know that there are people -- a lot of people -- who think this sh*t is wrong."

2. photoguy93

I live in Indiana.

Can't say I'm surprised.

But I saw a few comments on HuffPost that made me really think about a few things. First, what gay kid would go to this lady? I mean, really? We are smart people - I would know that she's a stupid bigot.

Secondly, how dumb can people be? People should know by now that shit will hit the fan.

Also, I know the history of my state/my own city. I really know that the same stuff was being said about anyone who isn't white. I am pretty damn sure someone said "we need an all white prom!" It's so sad that we have to keep repeating history!

3. Eatthechildren

"i love gay people i just don't think they deserve equal rights"

4. Steelers91

EZ2Bmyself has a more detailed version of this thread if you'd like to further this discussion on that one. We posted our thread's almost at the same time and his has more info.

5. some nights

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Makes me want to throw up. How can people say things like that and think that there is any kind of purposeful or accurate rationale behind that??

6. Sinisteress

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, its not fair how they trust us. Think of it like this. People say that being gay, bi, lesbian, trans etc is a sin, put on the same list of sins as Murders, Pedo's, rapists and all that.
    HOW ON EARTH is being gay put on the contrary as a f*ing murderer.
    Does anyone else see this they way i do?, or is it just me?

7. aMiMe

They speak of love, while displaying hate. They speak of knowledge, while fearing new ideas. Shackle after shackle. They attempt to bind us and cut away that evil disease. How weak may they be?

8. MerBear

everyone's should get the same rights as straight people. there should be any limitations

for example. women are still fighting a war against being discriminated against.

its not fair and whether or not , this has anything to do with god , everyone deserves a moment and a happy life.....just because they are LGBT shouldnt mean , they dont deserve to live a moment and be happy

9. Incognito10

Would this even be legal? To ban someone from prom who has not violated any rules? I don't think this teacher and group know what they're up against. Also, the teacher is bringing her personal religious beliefs into the school to single out certain students. Isn't that certainly illegal?

#9 Incognito10, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  10. Doctor Faustus

The hypocrisy, the hypocrisy.

11. I'm starting to think people pull shit like this just for the attention.

12. Stripe101

One of the other commenters said the same thing happened to African Americans. Its not like we have a choice whether to be gay or straight. Do you think that ladys special ed kids have a choice? Of course not! This world is so messed up...

13. Ticklish Fish

she's a special ed teacher?

14. Cthulhu

Yup. That's really sad. :frowning2:

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She needs to be punched, once by everybody she excludes from her own little kingdom of heaven in turn. Those numbers sound about right to me.

16. Honor

Personally i am a person of faith..and to say that gays don't have a purpose..is just plain ridiculous. EVERYONE has a purpose to be on the earth..her saying that makes gay people sound worthless..i understand why she doesn't support the lifestyle..but to say in one text that she cares about them...and then say they don't have a purpose..is just plain hypocritical. She makes me embarrassed to worship the same God as her..because that is NOT what he teaches...

Now..on to the school, if it was a private religious school, i could understand them barring them from a dance..however public schools should be a bit more accepting..that's truly sad to me.

17. SomeKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What bothers me most about people like this is the fact that they apologize. If you feel the need to apologize for what you are about to say, then don't say it. duh?

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's people amplifying their shittiness by distancing themselves from it. "Sorry, but here's the cold, hard truth, and I'm the only one brave enough to say it." It makes them out to be the voice of reason in a weak and stupid world, when really the opposite is true.

19. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So Charles Manson serves more of a purpose than Elton John? Also, does this woman not follow a book that says that women must not hold authority over men and follows a guy who surrounded himself with 12 men?

20. Jordane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does not surprise me really. But I doubt the students will get banned from prom because this would become a supreme court case if they somehow managed to.