1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer player comes out as gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Closet88, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Robbie Rogers, once of Leeds, comes out as gay and retires aged 25 | Mail Online

Just read this story. As a huge fan of football (or soccer as a lot of you will call it), I am always saddened to see the lack of top stars who are out of the closet. The last UK professional football to come out was in 1990! I would love a top footballer to come out as gay, to inspire a whole generation of young people struggling to come to terms with their sexuality.

Don't get me wrong, this guy wasn't a top player, and has now decided to retire from football, but surely it's a step in the right direction that a player has actually decided to come out!

2. Minx

Good for him. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :slight_smile:

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Just saw this on the MLS football website. Dude's a good player though, I'm a bit sad he resigned because he's a great player. He had a lot to offer for the game, but I wish him the best!

4. Doctor Faustus

What a courageous guy. Shame he felt like he could only be his true self after retiring though.

But all credit to him for doing the right thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

5. Lewis

This is amazing. Hopefully this paves the way for other footballers to come out too.

6. Kyle2Kylie

Kyle2Kylie Guest

I love football! (Go Man Utd!) and I followed Robbie while he was playing here for Columbus and the national team, idk if this is the girl in me or what but I think he is finnnnnneeee! Haha love you Robbie! Xoxo

7. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is great news, but it's sad that he had to do it after he decided to leave the soccer world.

Oh, and not that this makes a difference, but he's hot, too!

8. LiquidSwords

Yes, this is fantastic news. I'm waiting to see what the overall reaction will be from the football community but so far there's been nothing but positive.

It's a shame he feels like he has to retire though, presumably through fear of the reaction of fans and players. I would have been interested to see how the fans reacted on his first game after coming out but I guess we'll never know.

9. Jordane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More and not celebrities Are coming out. Which is good because if people see this maybe they won't be prejudice towards us.

10. Gallatin

Good to hear. Shame he's decided to retire early, but a step in the right direction nonetheless.

11. Jeff

I read that he has had some injuries, and that was a major reason for retirement.

But regardless, this is big news and I think it is so positive because the guy is obviously fucking hot. We need hot guys who are in various fields of work for the kids role models.

When Kenneth the hairdresser is out, or Mel the waiter is known as gay that is fine, but we need sports figures and other professionals coming out so the kids can see role models and then know that they too can be any profession that they desire.

We may even see in our lifetimes a President of the USA who is gay. But we need more people coming out to pave the way.

12. Cthulhu

Very good to hear! :slight_smile:

13. Different

Congrats to Robbie! I swear, one day homophobia will no longer exist in the sporting world!

14. Rexmond

Let's hope this does open a pathway for other footballers whom may be gay to pluck up some courage. I remember seeing a documentary on gay footballers on BBC3 here in England a few months ago. Actually, now that I remember there was only one gay footballer - and the presenter was his neice or granddaughter. It was extremely hard for the both of them, so truthfully I am not surprised that it's this rare for footballers to come out. As usual it's not their fault that it isn't easy to do something like that. So yup, it's good for this guy to have done it! :slight_smile:

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's very cute. But the fact is, sports are still a hostile environment for gays hence the lack of those coming out. I mean take a look at the douchebag that is Tim Tebow...

16. Honor

I'm sorry but 1..how is Tim tebow a douchebag...and 2..where does he even come in on this...he is a great guy and a model for many...now on the actually topic..im glad more people are having the courage to come out even when its not in the best of conditions its a great encouragement to others.

17. Jeff

Yeah it is still very hard in sports to be gay and that will be the last place it is accepted.

But I think Tim Tebow will self destruct, or become a liability to advertisers if he has not already. His time will come and it will be soon.:thumbsup:

Tim Tebow, Jets Quarterback, To Speak At Virulently Anti-Gay, Anti-Semitic Church First Baptist Dallas

18. LiquidSwords

When I tell everyone at my rugby club I'll let you know how I got on :lol:

Seriously though I think things are changing as fast in sport as they are in society in general, as in things are getting better very quickly. I actually don't think it will be much of an issue at my club but we'll see :icon_bigg

19. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it's crazy to think how quickly things are changing. Like just look at the push for gay marriage in the U.S., France, the U.K., and many other European countries. There are huge levels of support for gay marriage in all these countries, and it's come on so quickly. All it takes is someone in power to cause a shift in people's opinions.

The only thing I was worried about was when I heard some gay rights activist talking. He said that there is a deep-rooted fear within his organisation that if things can swing so quickly in our favour, that they can swing just as quickly against us. That idea gives me goosebumps.

20. Despite not really liking athletes in general I'm really inspired when they come out. I feel like it does the most to beat stereotypes, it's now almost expected that actors, artists, and singers come out, but athletes are in a field gays (especially gay males) aren't "supposed" to do well in and every time one comes out that supposition is challenged.