1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay men can't donate sperm.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Theagonist, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, today I learned that gay men can't donate sperm, the FDA's reasoning being that gay men are more likely to carry AIDS. Well during that 70s/80s AIDS scare, that make sense, but this rule was put in place in the 21st century, where we can test for AIDS; I mean, wouldn't they test the donor or AIDS anyway? The only person I know whom has AIDS happens to be a straight man lol. So when blonde hair, and green eyes become exctint it sure won't be my fault (I have both of those and intended to be a sperm donor one day for evolutionary reasons; yay evolution)

Quite the bigotry for a government ran and paid program

2. Clubsolar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We also can't donate blood either... It sucks.

3. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, for THEIR same reasons

4. RainbowMan

Well, I could donate blood, because I could truthfully answer the question about having had sex with another man.

Quite a sad state of affairs, really (in multiple ways, that the question is even asked, and that I can answer it the "right" way) :frowning2:

5. Ticklish Fish

blonde hair is already extincting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: BLACK HAIR FTW /dont hit me

also, go bug congress to change FDA rules/regulation

6. ssessoms

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im a bit surprised at this rule but Im pretty sure some have lied to donate.

7. MichaelB

Blonde hair isn't going extinct, sorry to burst your bubble. And green eyes have represented about 10% of the worlds population for a 1000 years, I don't see why that would change in the future.

Disappearing blonde gene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/genetic/redhead-extinction1.htm

8. FemCasanova

Just a question, do they, or do they not test the blood before giving it to someone? I mean, I would be scared as heck of blood transfusions, if they just pump untested blood into you, regardless of whether it`s gay or straight blood. You have a lot of diseases out there, that people of all orientations can have. It doesn`t make sense that they wouldn`t test it before giving it to people. And if they test it anyways, what does it matter?
    If you could at least show documents that prove you`ve gotten tested twice the last six months, and you haven`t had sex in that time period, I don`t get the rules being so firm on it.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if they ask, don't tell. It's none of their business whom you find attractive, and if you KNOW you don't have aids, then f*** the system.

I've read about sperm donation, though. Draconian selection processes for everybody, because you essentially get paid to get freaky and who wouldn't get in on that without a catch? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Whatever. If the wonder that is my gene pool is kept away from them then I will be just fine.

11. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In Australia gay men can donate sperm though it takes 12 months and an extra test before it can be used instead of 6, can't donate blood though.

#11 Bebop, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  12. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    :tantrum::tantrum::bang::bang: So annoyed, this proves that lots of ppeople are just piles of ignorance that are looking for a way to bring misery to others. Calmed down, now I think. Sorry about that

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get that because how can gay men have children with their sperm? I mean you hear about surrogacy and artificial insemination all the time...but apparently nope? I am confused.

14. Kyubi

WTF?! This is STUPID!!! FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- Who are these idiots?! You have got to be kidding me on this....seriously....

15. Emberblaze

Not EXACTLY true in my area. I donated blood at school a few months back. They didn't ask my sexuality but asked if I'd been sexually active with another male recently.

That's stupid as hell. They don't ask if you've been sexually active with a woman, but only if you've had sex with a man or a prostitute.

That's pretty discriminatory. I didn't wanna take it out on the lady questioning me though, she was just doing her job. Standard protocol ya know

16. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just an fyi:

Bisexual men can't donate sperm either.

17. Patrick777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's different because YOUR partner is accepting YOUR sperm and any illnesses you might have along with it.

Yes, you can test for HIV. No, it's not discriminatory to not include men who have sex with men (first, it's not about orientation but about sexual practice). Men who have sex with men make up a very separate population group in terms of a lot of illnesses and their risks. Men who have sex with men are at higher risk of HIV, syphilis and antibiotic resistant gonorrhoea. That's why men who have sex with men tend to get a lot more public health funding thrown their way than say, lesbians who are at very low risk for pretty much everything. Gay men tend to have higher rates of HIV than straight men as well. I'm not sure what the US rates are but in London, England approximately 1 in every 10 gay men has the virus whereas it's about 1 in every 100 straight man. That means that for every 100 gay men that walk into a sperm bank and every 100 straight men who walk into a sperm bank, 10 gay men will have HIV and only 1 straight man will have HIV.

Now, the HIV test becomes 'positive' after three months (though newer tests are detecting the virus earlier) and what that means is that some people will come into the clinic who are positive but don't know it yet and tests won't pick it up yet.

Ultimately, when designing sperm donation programmes and blood donation programmes, you divide the population into risk groups and then you stratify those groups from the most at risk for the diseases you want to screen for and the least at risk, then you start with the low risk groups and progress to higher risk groups only as need arises.

We do not do ourselves credit for whinging on about 'discrimination' when ultimately this is a decision that comes down to peer-reviewed SCIENCE and EPIDEMIOLOGY. Unfortunately, HIV rates are going up in gay men so it is unlikely to change in any drastic way.