1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turkey tries to take foster children away from Belgian same-sex couples

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gold Griffin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Turkey: Children fostered by European gay couples will be retrieved - PinkNews.co.uk

They appear to have wrapped it up in some sort of "they're trying to destroy our culture" BS, but if you look at the facts (they are starting with targeting children being fostered by same-sex couples, that's the cause of the hysteria in Turkey), it's clear that the "psychological damage" they are worried about is the children being exposed to homosexual sin or whatever. Considering that an abused six-month old isn't going to have any religion, language, or culture, it can't be argued that they would be psychologically damaged by a culture change. In fact, it would probably be more psychologically damaging to take a nine-year old away from his new family and return him to the abusive, bigoted old family.

2. Tragic that the once proudly socially progressive continent of Europe has developed a history of bowing to the demands of religious extremists. With luck this is where they'll finally draw the long needed line.

3. Optimistika

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    From what I could hear from dutch radio:

2 lesbian foster mothers have taken care of a Turkish boy for 7 years. They have involved themselves in Turkish culture, have traveled with the boy to the country and have taken Turkish language lessons. Mothers and son have now gone into hiding, to protect themselves and the child with help from dutch child services (who seem to be merely talking about what all this commotion is doing to the boy). As the first poster said, it's most likely more damaging to take a child away from the life he has known nearly his whole life, and to go through the commotion he's going through now.

Apparently the Turkish priminister also plans to visit the boy, however with the family in hiding, this seems highly unlikely to me.

It's very sad. When I initially was looking for international news on the topic, I could only find studies implying no difference for kids raised by straight or gay parents....typical.

4. Emberstone

a culture can only be destroyed from within.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really have much to add here. I would concur in the assessment that a nine-year-old child living in Europe probably doesn't have much in the way of Turkish socialization, which is to say, the child is effectively European. Decisions of these kind should always keep the welfare of the child in mind, but the object of this investigation seems to be to defend "culture" in the abstract.

Defending abstracts over real people is always bad.