1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 Things I Wish I'd Known When I Started My Transition

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Hot Pink, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Hot Pink

Exactly two years ago, I sat apprehensively in the reception area of the public health clinic in San Francisco's Castro neighborhood, waiting for my name to be called. If all went according to plan, I would leave that evening with my first prescriptions for estradiol and spironolactone -- day 1 on hormones. I had just come from work, and because only a handful of my colleagues knew about my transition, I was still presenting as a boy (albeit an androgynous one wearing gold eye shadow). I remember looking around the room at the other trans girls sitting nearby. I couldn't wait to be just like them -- to have people see me as my true gender and to finally start feeling comfortable in my body.

It was hard to believe that I had been closeted only two months earlier, and yet here I was, about to embrace the part of myself that I had been ashamed of for nearly all my life. I was ready. Since coming out, I had pored through several radical gender books, watched transition videos on YouTube and researched the hormones I was about to take. I knew what to expect in the weeks and months ahead.

Two years and 4,860 pills later, I now realize how little I actually understood back then. There were so many aspects of transitioning and being treated like a woman in society that I was totally unprepared for. And today I'd like to share 10 lessons that I wish I had known in February 2011.

(Note: This advice is based on my own personal experience as a queer, femme, white, upper-middle-class trans girl with "passing privilege," so some of it might not be applicable to you.)

Continue Reading: Annika Penelope: 10 Things I Wish I'd Known When I Started My Transition

This article is so true. I did go to therapy before starting transition, but the beauty culture really hit me hard. I mean, I wasn't completely ignorant about it, but it just felt like it was "over there." I never paid attention to it, but you can't ignore it when you're living as a woman because it's always in your face.

Also, I didn't realize how much privilege I had as a middle-class white person who was viewed as male until transitioning too--which I think I've talked about on this forum before.

I count myself lucky that my insurance is really good about helping trans people. It may not cover gender confirmation surgery, but it did cover my therapy sessions and my hormones. I pay nothing for hormones: no co-pay, nothing. Same for going to see my gender doctor.

When I started transitioning, it was all about being me. It was about becoming a better version of myself. The hormones were just icing on the cake. It was about making goal to always act a certain way. People tell me things like "you're so brave" and "I wish I could be as strong as you." Honestly? I'm still a coward. That scared little girl that stayed in the closet until 26 is still inside of me.

But I'm committed to doing what I think is right, despite my fear. To act like the better person I want to be, hoping that one day I'll be that woman. I've had the privilege of mentoring young trans girls and I gotta say, I admire that woman I pretend to be just as much as they do. Truth is, though, I became that woman the moment I decided to be her in spite of my fear. It was never an act, I just didn't want to admit to myself that I had grown. That would have been too positive.

That's what I wish I had known before I started transition. That every other trans person else is just as afraid as me. That's why they need help. My help, your help, anyone's help who cares.

2. DhammaGamer

Thanks for sharing, it's an insightful article and I really like your personal statement.