1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay 'marriage' is not marriage.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SupremeEmperor, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Homophobic argument against gay marriage: "Marriage is between a man and a woman. God made it that way. You can call gay 'marriage' marriage but it won't be marriage." This is one of many stupid arguments against gay marriage, and it begs the question; ok, if you believe that, why are you trying so hard to ban something that doesn't exist? I assume you don't believe in dragons, do you spend millions of dollars to get laws denying the existence of dragons? Do you brow beat clergymen into denying dragons? Of course you don't. You know dragons don't exist, so it's not worth your effort to deny them, even if somewhere someone does, it is not worth the effort. What makes gay marriage any different? Oh, that's right deep down inside you know people can love each other regardless of gender,and you're just bringing up the gay thing to compensate for how small your balls are.

2. LiquidSwords

It's because they know they've lost or are losing the argument in terms of legalising gay marriage so they're consoling themselves that even though it is now or soon will be legal, it doesn't really exist as a concept anyway.

Yes you're right, it does beg the question why they actually care in the first place.

3. Emberstone

fundementalist 'christanity' is not christanity...

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because they lack the mental capacity to extend the idea of a man and woman getting married into the concept of any two people who love each other getting married. Sure, they may see it as a sacred rite which was not meant for the same genders, but in coarse terms, whoop-de-fucking-do. Just because it's legal doesn't mean THEY have to go and get a gay marriage. What ever happened to being a free country?

For example: I don't believe in excessive consumption of alcohol. It is legal, but I won't lobby for a second Prohibition or other regulations. I just don't get trashed.

#4 Argentwing, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. photoguy93

It's funny because if they really thought about it, they would love GAY marriage, because it's not just "marriage" - - they just use excuses to not have it happen. It's crazy. Just like another thread on here - conservatives should be all for gay marriage because it promotes the family life.

But hey - let's just sit back and wait for them to have more affairs and children with their secretaries.

6. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure exactly where it originates from, but one person put it really well.

"Why are they so against this when Jesus had two dads?"

7. Kay

Kay Guest

Because they do not understand gays in general they think we are different in every way and so do not have the ability to love as in the state of marriage.. They are wrong as they are wrong about most points on gays. So screw them

8. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

I agree with you that it begs the question. But I think that just like a Christian can't move you by appealing to God, you can't move someone by appealing to the non-excitance of God. (I'm a Christain if that makes a difference; it shouldn't. That being said, I believe in gay marriage.)

Ad hominem fallacies aren't going to get us far either.

Ultimately we don't need religion's acknowledgement or consent. I think that once society has seen how genuine gay marriage is, religion will follow.

9. True dat.

10. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a stupid "reason" against marriage equality. The thing is, we're not fighting for anything different than what currently exists. We don't want gay marriage, just marriage. I was reading some comments to an article about Obama's brief in opposition to DOMA and this lady made two super long comments that gay couples need to use another name for their unions because they're different than marriage. She kept saying the same thing over and over in slightly different ways. Although they won't admit it, my conclusion is that they actually feel superior to us and don't want us in their club. "Separate but equal" never works and it won't for this since there is no rational legal reason to exclude us from marriage. :thumbsup:

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boom. The church may not like it, but the church and state are not in cahoots. Even if every church were to decry it as ungodly, the state, being the one offering legal advantages to marriage, would have to go along.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's fine. Don't worry about it. In about 20 years time, these people will be revealed for the ethical trash that they are.

13. didn't Marriage or Practices similar to it came before Christianity?

14. Way before. Started in the ancient world and in a lot of ancient civilizations (Greece, China etc.) gay relationships were perfectly ok.

15. Emberblaze

Cerulean isn't blue
    Humans aren't mammals
    A square is a rectangle,

we can say stupid stuff all day.