1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former Republican Presidential Candidate Jon Huntsman on Marriage Equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gold Griffin, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The below was part of an article written by Former Governor of Utah, Former Ambassador to China and Singapore, and contender for the 2012 Republican Presidential nomination Jon Huntsman:

Rest of the Article (a bunch of other good points the GOP should listen to as well): Marriage Equality Is a Conservative Cause | The American Conservative

It's sad that the most sensible and decent of the serious 2012 Republican nomination candidates will never get nominated by a party hijacked by the Tea Party.

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew there was a reason why I didn't mind Huntsman.

Sadly, you're right. The crazy whack job Tea Partiers have made even the sensible Republican candidates shift to the far right at times to get votes (see moderate Romney having to go far right thanks to crazy Santorum).

It's not a winning strategy.

3. photoguy93

Who?

Just kidding! Gov. Huntsman was the one "hmmm" candidate for my Democrat self. I really liked him. I thought he had potential.

Yet, we Americans can't really see too far past what is put in front of us. Which is sad. :frowning2:

But I do find this article to be.... ready for it? Logical!

Marriage is a very "conservative/family values" issue. I personally loved reading the comments. One person, in particular, talked about the "bigger issues.... changing the definition of marriage. It's like saying someone doesn't need a mommy, or that a Daddy is optional." Yes, dumb ass, a Daddy is optional when you slept around with your intern and knocked her up.

4. Meropspusillus

He would've won the general election in a landslide.

5. UndercoverGypsy

It's sad that even in 2013, there are so many homophobes out there. It's good to see that even someone from such a heartless, corporate party has enough balls to stand up to the rednecks and christians to fight for equal marital rights. I honestly can't believe I'm backing a republican here...

6. photoguy93

As with most everything that happens, the amount of brain cells used to tell me I'm "sinning" isn't being used to do math or reading skills. Sigh....

7. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe that former Governor Jon Huntsman should run for U.S. Senate I mean he would make a bold statement and would be a leader on civil rights if he were to get elected. I mean we are talking about Utah here I guess. I mean I would assume he wouldn't even have a chance now. I know that recently longtime Senator Orrin Hatch will retire and not run in 2018. I mean I know thats over 5 years away, but maybe Huntsman should run for that. I mean I can't see him getting back into politics anytime soon.

If John Huntsman was on the ballot in my state I would consider voting for him
    But, he should replace Laura Bush in the Respect for marriage advertisement.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...or he should run for president in 2016 again.

I'd strongly consider voting for him if Bob McDonnell didn't run.

9. A Mormon Republican from Utah endorses marriage equality, did not see that coming.