1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local paper uses inverted commas to describe gays,

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Last Gentleman, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Last Gentleman

A paper in the next town over printed an editorial that locals aren't happy about.
    The biggest issue at hand is the word gay is used, it's enclosed in inverted commas as if to say we don't exist.

For the full editorial and the ability to sign an online petition, click the below link (which I hope isn't breaking any rules).
    A request has also been brought forward to email the news paper directly, there's a pre-written letter and email address, due to them ignoring the 1,400 signatories and only paying attention to the 30 emails received thus far.

Let's see if we can overwhelm their inbox.

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitio...utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email

2. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There statement barely makes any sense, it sounds like they think gay marriage will turn people heterosexual "bring them into the heterosexual fold"

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get the quotes as refusing to acknowledge that they're real. I see it more as "This is what they call themselves" just as I have put that sentence in quotes.

Still very off-putting, though. I wish people wouldn't make a big stink about other people's business.

4. 'People' in 'media' are picked from a lower 'stock' than they used to be.

5. Kyubi

they seem like idiots. Hahahaha. I wonder when media is going to stop being stupid.

6. Ridiculous

You missed an excellent opportunity to put 'paper' in quotation marks in your thread title.

7. Cthulhu

Never.

8. nikom87

I see that same quotation marks thing used periodically to pretend that trans people don't exist or aren't who we say we are. Crap like "A transgender 'woman' named John (who friends call 'Sarah') was told to leave the women's bathroom". So aggravating. The LA Times pulls that nonsense. I agree though; 'paper' is more like it.

9. Emberblaze

The First Amendment... the worst thing to ever hit the internet... and an even MORE worst grant ever given to the press v_v"

Sometimes, I'm not proud to be in this country, but that's a generalization

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    These are called scare quotes.

Also, I have to agree on the First Amendment thing, not because I'm against freedom of speech, but because I'm against the way the principle is being abused by people who seem to think that free speech means "I have a right to my opinion" which means "you can't criticize my opinion or be a meanie pants" because that's... (scare quotes) "silencing me."

11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, I don't think it's that big of a deal at all.

I've seen far worse.

12. Emberblaze

Exactly. They say sticks and stones break bones but words will never hurt... Yeah, well i've had words leave a pretty thick bruise.

People don't understand that now'adays, words mean a lot more. And that sometimes, shutting up truly is the better route

13. Last Gentleman

Here in Australia, we don't have the First Amendment.
    In fact, the Constitution of Australia DOES NOT give the right to free speech to it's people.

The closest we get is the right to freely vote for our politicians. Which implies the right to free political speech.

And while it may not be the worst you've seen, it's the ONLY local paper for the region.