1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republicans Sign Brief in Support of Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TheEdend, Feb 25, 2013.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/u...ort-of-gay-marriage.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

The title is a bit misleading, but still good news for now! Might not be a perfect party, but this is a small step towards the right direction. Would have been better if they supported both Prop 8 and striking down DOMA, though xD

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very refreshing to see.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people are well aware that the party needs to change substantially before 2014, or else 2016 is going to be a realigning election.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We discussed this in the other thread, but this is true.

And I'm confident Republicans will change some of their stances by 2016, at least the party nominee.

5. Cthulhu

6. Tim

Tim

Based on the current numbers on how many Americans support same-sex marriage, any candidate against same-sex marriage won't do very well, and I think the republicans who were so against it are starting to see that.

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is partly true, at least for the last presidential election.

Romney really didn't lose because of his views on same-sex marriage; he lost because he had to shift far right and then back to the center. It also didn't help that his campaign attempted to make the election a referendum solely on Obama's handling of the economy instead of explaining his own proposals. He didn't do this until it was too late.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2013 at 12:46 AM ----------

Also, Republicans won't lose elections for the sole reason of just same-sex marriage; rather, they will lose if they continue to oppose a collection of issues like gun control, same-sex marriage and immigration.

A candidate can get away with winning an election while favoring something that's unpopular, but not a collection of things.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's awesome they're finally sort of on board, as long as it is genuine and not just a move to get votes.

I'm not going to get into gun control here, but couldn't they just do what they think will genuinely help the country? Gay marriage is completely harmless and can only do good as we all know, and there is a middle ground on immigration between amnesty and cracking down, which is streamlining the lawful path to citizenship.

Call me a moderate, but isn't that just taking the best of both sides for the good of everyone? Preposterous.

9. Meropspusillus

I hope so, but unfortunately the system for nominating people is incredibly screwed up. I'm confident that more moderate republicans will adjust to face a changing world; but I'm not confident that these people will be nominated.

10. photoguy93

My god... for once, I'm going to be the negative one.

This has been out one day (I saw this article today.) Do you honestly believe the far right will see this and go "oh, oh my god. We must change." No. They will call it something like "Obama's gay friends have corrupted the Republican party!"

I think that, as the article stated, it shows how big this "civil war" within the party is going to get. I really doubt Speaker Boehner will be releasing a statement saying "you betcha, it's time for Adam & Steve to get hitched!" I truly cannot imagine the same people who voted for Rick Santorum to welcome someone who thinks gays can get married.

I think that a split could happen. Maybe it won't become a 3-4 party system, but I think something will happen. I don't believe the right is that mindless and they can just change overnight. (I'm speaking about the FAR right - no disrespect to Republicans, in general.)

11. theMaverick

I agree with you. The far right, the tea party, is going to just buckle down on this. They'll say something along the lines of what you said. A split could very well occur. I think that would be the best thing for our country. I've long said that they 2 party system is bullshit. It's a duopoly and it's vastly under-representing millions of Americans. My mother is a Republican, but she supports gay rights. She has gay friends. Is she represented? Nope.

12. photoguy93

Exactly. I do think that it would be great to have more than two parties. I grew up in a very traditionally republican family. Now, it's all changed - my family voted for Obama, and I'm pretty sure that it will be anothter Democrat in 2016. However, had it been Huntsman... I think it would have been tougher.

13. I like sane republicans but at the end of the day all they do is empower the radical right.

14. Jeff

But yes, you are being negative, very much so.

The brief is not so that other Repubs can get on board with this, the brief was filed for the Supreme Court, and to influence their ruling come June on Prop 8.

So for you to not mention the good that this can do (in June), and instead dwell on the far right and where they are at, or might change, or be, is missing the point sorry.

15. stephenjack

16. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This seems to me less of a step forward and more of a throwback to what the republican party used to be about, keeping the government out of our lives as much as possible while protecting our rights as individuals. That is the republican party that I hope makes a revival in the future. I also hope that the democratic party follows suit and this chasm between the far left and the far right becomes a lot narrower.

17. therunawaybff

I can't help but believe this is a ploy to draw in queers as one of the fringe demographics, since Republicans are doing so poorly in public reckoning these days.

I say either make gay marriage legal or outlaw divorce.

18. starfish

And in other news, the pendulum is now swinging the other way.

19. photoguy93

Remember what I posted about how the right wouldn't like it?

Well, everyone, there's a certain nighttime news anchor that posted the link to this on their facebook page. (I don't want to say which one because I commented on there and don't want to get in trouble or something.)

I've never seen it this bad, but almost every comment is "oh we have bigger issues" or "didn't they learn anything? It's bad! It's in the bible!" or my personal favorite, "we'll be able to marry our pets next!"

It's going to get ugly.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2013 at 09:22 PM ----------

Since it's coming from the people it is coming from, I'm not as concerned as if Marco Rubio was on the news tomorrow saying "let's vote for *water bottle* gay marriage!"

We really need to outlaw divorce, since marriage is so sacred!