1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 yr old trans girl not allowed to use bathroom at school

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by person54, Feb 27, 2013.

1. person54

Transgender Triplet Banned From 1st Grade Restroom - Yahoo!

They are worried about possible uncomfortrability and possible psychological harm and so made discriminatory decisions that in all likelyhood made Coy uncomfortable by removing her from her school mates. Despite any comfortrability or lack there of what about her bilogical need to go to the bathroom. What about her possibly being psychologically harmed by this? Like without lying, is there any way you can explain to a six year old what is happening and why it's happening without inadvertently making them feel bad or forcing them to see some really dark realities she will have to face for the rest of her life?

And it looks like no one even complained about anything, not other parents, not other girls, everything seemed to be okay. I know they're young but what about how her friends feel, how comfortable are they with all of a sudden her not being around in school?

Ugh

#1 person54, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. I saw this earlier today and had two thoughts about it:

1. F*CK those people at the school and who think that she's too young to know who she is.

2. Parents of Coy--Parenting, you are doing it right.

3. This is just stupid. They should never ban someone from a school bathroom because of their physical sex.

I also second thedreamwatch's post. We need more people like Coy's parents.

4. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    this is sad and unfair! :tears:

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's having a perfectly normal life and adjusting to transgenderism at school just fine... Let's f*** everything up for her in the name of equality!

6. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

That's messed up, they should let her use the bathroom

7. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    And what about the psychological harm of people not letting her be herself and live her life the way she wants to? I'm sure that's fine, after all, we need to protect them from....6 year old rapists? I'm a little lost here. The argument always seems to be "we can't let trans people in the restrooms that they should be going into, they're obviously going to rape someone". But they're 6 so now it's psychological trauma? Unless the school doesn't have stalls with doors, I see no reason why anyone would be psychologically scarred by their definition. Even then, does bigotry and discrimination towards a minority not harm them more?

This is what the world has come to...discriminating against a 6 year old. I wonder how these people look themselves in the mirror sometimes.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is a perfect example of why the bathroom argument breaks down, and I'm quite surprised I didn't think of it before.

I'm angry that the school administrators are more worried about their own jobs than they are about the well-being of this child.

9. BornInTexas

^ this.

10. Emberblaze

Man... when you look at stuff like this and look at that other thread (the one titled "Do bigots deserve sympathy"), you can't help but sigh and realize that this is going to be a long battle ahead. u_u'''

11. nikom87

I agree. This story made me so mad when I read it today that I could hardly see straight. I'm sick of these BS excuses that people have for their bigotry because they think it'll make them look like good people.

And this story was a great reminder to me to NEVER read the comments at the bottom of an article on a major news site. :bang:

12. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh dear God, what were they like?

13. nikom87

Transphobic crap you wouldn't believe. Please, for the love of all that is good, do not look, it will ruin your day. I just have to keep reminding myself that the people who post irrational, angry messages on a news website's comment section are a really small group of out-there people who are not representative of the larger population.

I really hope that Coy gets the respect that she deserves. Six is much too young to worry about things like this.

14. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My day was already ruined but I'll be sure to avoid it nonetheless. I assume that people were calling her a freak or the usual transphobic (and I've seen that said about homosexuality but that's another topic for another time) garbage. The fact that they would say that about a 6 year old girl (presumably, as I will not read them) though is even more appalling. How can people like this exist?

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The irony of this is that I first saw this on Yahoo News.

The other thing is, no matter what they said or how they did it, it was against Colorado Law.

So.. That girl should be using that restroom... or those restrooms, considering it's a school... that probably has multiple restrooms..

16. GreenRaven

i read the comments. saw one in particular, and had to reply...because they were spouting nonsense like they weren't born transgendered and that 6 is too young to know the concept of what gender is blah blah blah....my response was as follows:

"so let me ask you this...if you felt mentally/emotionally the same way that you do right now, feminine and all that jazz, but you had a penis...what would you do? if someone is transgendered they are BORN THAT WAY. just like someone is BORN gay. you don't wake up suddenly and be all like "oh gee i think i should be a guy/girl from now on because i want to." who the hell would WANT to be discriminated against, be raped, beaten, or even killed? the answer is no one. when one is transgendered, they feel out of sync with the body they live in, in comparison to the way their brain is wired. did you know your brain has a sex? male and female brains are wired differently from each other, and sometimes shit happens in-utero and babies come out as one SEX (which is what your genitals say you are) while their brain comes out as the other GENDER (how you identify). the only reason people are coming out younger now is because their are more resources out there for people to get a hold of. a word to put to what you are feeling. instead of that "there's something wrong with me but i can't put my finger on it..."

granted i don't know why i'm even bothering to write this cause you probably won't even really take in what i say, you'll just keep your head where it is and spout the same idiotic nonsense acting like you're an expert on transgenderism. unless you have a doctorate in psychology (which, by the way, i HIGHLY doubt), and have done significant research on the topic, don't try and say you know shit.

cheers mate"

17. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ^^I'll take a stab and predict the intelligent, well thought out response to that much more intelligent message:

"Yeah, well....you're icky!"

Which is about what the opposing side's argument boils down to once you get past all the stuff they want you to believe is their reasoning (rape, psychological trauma, etc...). It boils down to nothing more than the first grade mentality "Eww, you have cooties!"

18. Nyanko

"Let's worry more about who gets to go to the bathroom than actually teaching stuff!"

Then they turn around and preach about respecting others, and that treating someone different for being different is bad. Hypocrites.

19. FemCasanova

God , I read about 10-15 comments before I couldn`t take it anymore. Those people don`t know anything about the matter, someone even wrote that "the kid wasn`t even sexually active yet, so how could she know?". Like gender and sexuality is the same thing. Most of them were like that, and it just made me want to cry more than the actual article did. These people accuse these parents of child-abuse, etc, when in fact these parents did everything right, and are standing up for their child. So much crap in the world :frowning2:

20. DoriaN

"Coy's school has the opportunity to turn this around and teach Coy's classmates a valuable lesson about friendship, respect and basic fairness,"

Well then lets make sure to ruin that because we all know that transgenders are not equal and the world is already accepting of the LGBT community anyways.