1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Death threats to UK's top Muslim MP who voted for gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Police have told Sadiq Khan he should review the security around him and his family following the Commons vote
    Officers in his Tooting constituency in London have been put on high alert
    Khan was among 400 MPs, five Muslim, who voted in favour of the bill

Britain's most senior Muslim MP has received death threats after voting in favour of gay marriage.

Police have told Sadiq Khan, Labour’s Shadow Justice Secretary, that the threats are credible enough that he should review the security around him and his family following the Commons vote.

Officers in his Tooting constituency in London have been put on high alert, and will respond ‘extra-quick’ should an incident be reported at his home.

The Metropolitan Police has also advised Mr Khan, 42, that they may put more officers around him if further threats are made.

He told one friend he was especially concerned about those close to him, saying: ‘My family do not need to suffer for what I have to do for my job.
    'I’ve not had threats like this before.’

Mr Khan was among 400 MPs, five of them Muslim, who voted in favour of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill at the beginning of this month.

It is believed Mr Khan, who was campaign manager for Ed Miliband’s successful leadership bid, has been singled out as he is the most prominent Muslim MP.

Mr Khan – who became Britain’s first Muslim Minister to attend Cabinet in the last Government – has been condemned by British-based hardline clerics, who have accused him of ‘selling out’ his religion.

Mufti Muhammed Aslam Naqshbandi Bandhalevi, who is the head imam of the Jamia Islamia Rizvia mosque in Bradford, has issued a fatwa, or ruling, declaring Mr Khan an ‘apostate’ from Islam and said he should ‘repent before Allah’.

Some veiled threats against all the Muslim MPs who backed gay marriage are visible online.

2. Minx

*sigh* Welcome to our world Mr. Khan. :grin:

3. DeanIsHome

This is very sad that they are in danger but I feel proud to know other Muslims are starting to support gay marriage; growing up as a Muslim and being the relative of a famous Shiekh I was taught that there were no such thing as gay Muslims or supportive Muslims since I was raised with a bunch of bigot radicals it's good to know this man and others support the bill, I hope Mr.Khan stays safe.

4. Death threats? For one vote on a (long-term) fairly minor issue? Insanity. Pure insanity. Still it is good to see there are still good people in the world.

5. Cthulhu

This would make me want to vote for Mr. Khan if I were a British citizen.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He does deserve respect :slight_smile:

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For a Muslim Guy, it was very brave as his religion is against everything Gay!

8. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    just like how christianity is too am i right