1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Clint Eastwood backs gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Million Dollar Baby director one of 80 Republicans to sign legal brief calling for legalisation of same-sex unions

Clint Eastwood lent his support to the fight for gay marriage, adding his name to a legal brief that calls on the US supreme court to legalise same-sex unions. The Oscar-winning film-maker and actor made an eccentric appearance at last year's Republican national convention, berating an empty chair to the various amusement and bemusement of the gathered dignitaries. He now joins a breakaway group of moderate Republicans that threatens to expose a split within the party.

Eastwood is a resident of the state of California, where a constitutional amendment, Proposition 8, currently limits marriage to a man and a woman. Next month the supreme court is due to hear arguments about the legality of the ban. The arguments could eventually lead to the proposition being overturned and gay marriage being legalised.

The 82-year-old director of Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby was one of more than 80 Republicans who signed the "friend of the court" brief, which was then released by the American Foundation for Equal Rights. Adam Umhoefer, the foundation's executive director, described the brief as "a microcosm of what we see happening all across the country". He added: "Americans are united in the concept of freedom, dignity and strong families."

A recent poll found that 61% of California voters are now in favour of same-sex marriage.

2. DeanIsHome

Re: Culture Film Clint Eastwood Clint Eastwood backs gay marriage

Woah! Another reason for me to love Clint Eastwood!

3. UndercoverGypsy

Re: Culture Film Clint Eastwood Clint Eastwood backs gay marriage

Do you really need any more reason than the song?

4. I guess this is a good thing but I still hate Clint Eastwood.

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have always loved his movies :slight_smile:

6. FemCasanova

Still not a big fan of the man, but his "leave everybody alone" thing was kind of funny, and in a way really nice. Although that means he probably think people with guns all over their house should be left alone as well, and that`s where I wouldn`t be able to agree with his republican politics. I am glad I am not American, I get frustrated enough over the american politicians, even as a Norwegian, lol! If I actually lived there, I`d end up with a stroke. Admittedly, Clint Eastwood is not a politician, but he wouldn`t be the first actor to try out a new field, lol!

7. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

Great news, from a great artist. Well he's just too brilliant, to not be on the right side of the history.:eusa_clap

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Too Right :eusa_clap

9. Kyubi

I thought he couldn't get more awesome....lol.

10. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Neutral. Dont like him, but this is good for gays

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Never had him figured as the supportive type up til now =o interesting

12. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I heard he supported it back in 2012. I am not sure if that is true, but I am glad he affirmed his support for it. I mean he is a pretty hard core Conservative. I mean he talked to a chair a Republican National Convention. #Eastwooding

13. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually he identifies as Libertarian, like myself he thinks that the Republican party has gone too far in trying to control people's private lives. :thumbsup: But yea, he did say that he supported gay marriage back in 2012 or so.

14. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know why, but he was one of the last people I'd expect to support us. But YAY! I found this on facebook :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Marriage isn't the only thing were fighting for.
    [​IMG]

15. steelygreye

Well, most people I know don't lean all the way right or left. Everyone has different beliefs, and you can easily be a republican with some liberal social views. I consider myself left-leaning (at least according to American standards of "right" and "left"), and I have a mix of conservative and liberal views.

But yes, I am a huge fan of this guy. Have you seen the documentary "Reel Injun"? He puts in some really insightful commentary about Native Americans in cinema. It's not that far-fetched to see a Republican with some liberal views or a Democrat with some conservative views, everyone's different.

I believe he supported marriage equality as far back as 2011, so this isn't a sudden change or anything.

16. Emberstone

I will pull up a chair for him at our activist table.