1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Oberlin College cancels classes to address racial incidents

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Mar 4, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is crazy. Oberlin is one of the more diverse colleges in Ohio. I guess that this shows that things like this can happen anywhere.

more here

2. Minx

:eusa_eh: ... hoomans. :dry:

3. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gross. At least they stopped classes to encourage the campus to focus on those events and discuss it.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oberlin is a little to the left of Lenin. :slight_smile:

Every so many years, there's some big uproar there like this. When I was a student, somebody posted a huge banner in front of the student union (at 3am) that made some sort of derogatory racist comment about the black students on campus. They cancelled classes at that point also.

There were claims -- that no one could prove -- that the posting of the banner was actually done by the black student association to stimulate outrage to push through an agenda they'd been trying to push through for several years... which the outrage did have the effect of pushing through. So things are not always as they seem.

That said, I'm glad Oberlin is taking things seriously and using the opportunity to talk about and educate people about the racism that still exists.