1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News LGBT unions and straight marriage not so different after all?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by FemCasanova, Mar 5, 2013.

1. FemCasanova

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/u...-of-aiding-in-parental-kidnapping.html?ref=us

Interesting, one of the first cases I have seen where one parent in an LGBT partnership takes the kid and runs off. Surprised that the court is actually on the side of the (ex)partner who is now refused to see her child, even sentencing the pastor to jail-time who aided the other woman in running away with the daughter.

Feels a little twilight zoned right now, for some reason. I hear about mothers and fathers running away with the child all the time, and yet this is the first lesbian/gay couple I have read about where it`s even been called kidnapping and gotten high profile. Very glad the justice system works also when the parents are LGBT.

2. This whole story seems screwed up. Not really sure how to feel.

3. Aldrick

Yeah, I've heard about this case in the past. It is awful. I'm glad the pastor got jail time, but I'm disappointing it was suspended, and that he has been let out of his contempt of court charge. He should have been left in prison until he was willing to give up evidence against his co-conspirators; he's the low hanging fruit. It's like putting a mob bosses driver in prison, but letting the mob boss get away.

Being from Virginia, I know about some of the people mentioned. If they started digging and people started to crack, things would begin to unravel fast and quite a few people of significance within the conservative Christian community here would be implicated as co-conspirators... people who are influential.

I hope her civil suit amounts to something, though. If she can take at least some resources away from these institutions, then it'll be a victory. Ideally, she'd be able to bankrupt them.

Sadly, I don't think any of this will go well through Virginia courts. In fact, I'm worried that the pastor might get off entirely.