1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Court must end California gay marriage ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A California ban on gay marriages should be overturned by the US Supreme Court, the Obama administration says.

In a legal brief filed ahead of arguments scheduled for late March, the justice department says the ban - known as Proposition 8 - is unconstitutional.

Outlawing same-sex marriage while offering marriage-like rights under law contravenes the right to equal protection under law, the brief says.

The Supreme Court will hear arguments on two same-sex marriage issues.

As well as Proposition 8, the nine justices will consider the Defense of Marriage Act, a Clinton-era piece of US federal legislation that defines marriage as solely being between a man and a woman.

Obama in May 2012: "Same sex couples should be able to get married"
    The Obama administration is not defending the legislation in front of the court.

Mr Obama himself offered his personal support for gay marriage in a TV interview in 2012, reversing a previously held position.

But until now he had not yet translated a personal viewpoint into a legal or legislative agenda.

"The same evolution that I've gone through is an evolution that the country as a whole has gone through. And I think it is a profoundly positive thing," Mr Obama said on Friday.

"When the Supreme Court essentially called the question by taking this case about California's law, I didn't feel like that was something that this administration could avoid. I felt it was important for us to articulate what I believe and what this administration stands for."

Mr Obama signed off on the brief, written for the administration by Solicitor General Donald Verrilli - the man who argued the case for the Mr Obama's healthcare reform act before the Supreme Court in 2012.

'Violation'
    Proposition 8 was approved by a majority of California voters in November 2008, and has faced a series of legal challenges ever since.

It was challenged by the state but upheld by the state Supreme Court, and overturned by a federal court following a private legal challenge.

In the brief to the Supreme Court, the Obama administration makes a clear statement that gay couples should be afforded the right to marry in states where they are offered legal rights as domestic partners.

"California law provides to same-sex couples registered as domestic partners all the legal incidents of marriage, but it nonetheless denies them the designation of marriage allowed to their opposite-sex counterparts," the brief says.

"Proposition 8 thus violates equal protection."

"They establish homes and lives together, support each other financially, share the joys and burdens of raising children, and provide care through illness and comfort at the moment of death,'' the administration wrote.

How one Maryland couple invited the internet to their wedding
    In a statement issued after the brief was filed, Attorney General Eric Holder said the government was seeking "to vindicate the defining constitutional ideal of equal treatment under the law".

"The issues before the Supreme Court in this case and the Defense of Marriage Act case are not just important to the tens of thousands of Americans who are being denied equal benefits and rights under our laws, but to our nation as a whole," said Mr Holder.

Analysts say the brief does not place the administration behind a push for a federal guarantee of the right for same-sex couples to marry.

In addition, it does not address the situation in the large majority of US states which do not provide legal equality, or have constitutional amendments banning gay marriage.

Nevertheless, leading campaigners welcomed the move.

"The president has turned the inspirational words of his second inaugural address into concrete action by calling on our nation's highest court to put an end to discrimination against loving, committed gay and lesbian couples and their families," said the Human Rights Council, a lesbian, gay and transgender advocacy group.

Mr Obama himself was deeply involved both in the decision to pursue to the case and to choose this line of argument, Supreme Court analyst Lyle Denniston wrote on court-watching website Scotus Blog.

"In essence, the position of the federal government would simultaneously give some support to marriage equality while showing some respect for the rights of states to regulate that institution."

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As much as I hate (and I mean HATE) Obama and what he's doing, he's been great for gay rights. I'm glad for the momentum we're getting right now.

3. FemCasanova

I think Obama was the best thing to happen in a long time. Sure, he got late into the race, but once he actually got in, what a boulder that little snowball has become. Legalization of marriage in several states, politicians coming out of the closet, businesses suddenly rallying to support LGBT causes ... You gotta love the guy a little for being the small push that started it all, but perhaps not take credit from the LGBT organizations working so hard to turn public opinion on the matter. However, the support for same sex marriage among black voters were tiny, before Obama stated his support, and suddenly it was a majority for. Which I find really interesting!

I am so happy for America :grin:

4. Doku

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't agree with this. It shouldn't be left up to the state. There are churches in my state, a state that has same-sex marriage banned, that would love to open their doors to gay and lesbian couples for marriage. It should be left up to the churches of the state and not the state itself.

5. When it comes to the constitution, nowhere is it written that any government, state or federal, has any right to regulate marriage.

6. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Marriage isn't an exclusively Christian (or religious for that matter) institution.

7. Doku

Out Status:
    Some people
    Where did I say that it was purely for Christians or religions? I'm just saying if there were churches that wanted to marry same-sex couples, let them.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has nothing to do with churches, either.

The US government throughout the entirety of US History has found that more kids are beneficial if they have 2 parents, and so then create a better civilization, or some people like to call, "society", as opposed to children with 1 or no parents at all. That whole 2 parents thing is why government gives benefits to those who are married.

The problem lies here: Too many politicians, especially right-wing religious politicians, look into the bible where, to their understanding, it says that you MUST have a man and a woman to have a good partnership. They then apply that to marriage and deny us the benefits of marriage, because, according to them, the only way for someone to be raised properly, they MUST have a mommy and a daddy.

This is bullcrap.

Applying ONE set of rules that seems to follow a similar path as another set of rules and making them one isn't how to go about things. They say similar things, yes. But saying one is THE EXACT SAME as the other is a complete misunderstanding, illogical and extremely closed-minded. If I have a wine glass and a glass of milk, it doesn't make them the same glass.

What's even worse about this is that not only is it ignoring the 14th amendment, but it is also ignoring the 1st amendment. Not all same-sex couples are going to be christian. There will be Hindu gay couples, agnostic gay couples, buddhist, hell there even might be *GASP* INTERMIXED RELIGIOUS COUPLES.

Oh, no.

Forcing one religion down other people's throats is completely ignoring the 1st amendment, something NO politician, no matter how corrupt, should EVER be doing. And it is happening to us and many other minorities every day.

#8 Jinkies, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013