1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Rita Mayfield on Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Whiteboymdew, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Waukegan forum turns out mass numbers against same-sex marriage - 849 - Gay Lesbian Bi Trans News - Windy City Times

Rita Mayfield who represents the 60th district of Illinois is find herself in a tough spot. She wants to support marriage equality, but she doesn't think she can vote for it because a majority of her district is against it.

She voted "Present" on civil unions when the issue came up in December of 2010.

She can't come to terms with her vote. I urge you call to contact her.

Rita Mayfield
    Phone = (217) 558-1012
    Email = [email protected]

Dear Representative Rita Campbell,

I urge to you vote in favor of SB10. I hope that you will do the right thing and I hope that you can vote for equality for all. We are very close to the 60 votes needed for this piece of legislation. This bill is important to me and my family. I feel like this shouldn't be any issue anymore.

Representative Campbell, we are in 2013, this bill is nothing new. It is nothing new. It is not some crazy experiment 9 states currently have these laws. I urge you in making Illinois number TEN! All these people want is a simple marriage license. They are not asking for much.

Please vote your heart on this... You will never have the chance again to stand on the right side of history. Lets do the right thing and get this done. Equality for everyone.

Thank you

2. photoguy93

How did she become elected? I mean.....she is in this position. If she's still there, then she has the right to go with what she believes. Let me guess - she's up for re-election?

3. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not quite. She was appointed to the seat in July of 2010. She won the seat in 2010 and she was elected again with out democratic opposition. She won 74.9% of the vote in 2012 and she is not up until 2014.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grammar Nazi complaint:

"Representative Campbell, we are in 2013, this bill is nothing new."

That's a comma splice, which is incorrect. After "2013" should be a semicolon. :wink: Better to make ourselves look as educated as possible; it could never hurt.

A great letter though. I'd rarely advise representatives to vote against their constituents' stance, but in this case, she needs to.

#4 Argentwing, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  5. FemCasanova

Not that it probably matter much, since I am from another country, but I sent one anyway.

Dear Rita Campbell

This E mail comes from an LGBT member from Norway, a lesbian girl (26) who pay close attention to the situation in other places of the world. I have friends all over our beautiful earth, some of which live in your country, a country that I used to shake my head over, but over the last couple of years I am starting to think that progress has grown wings for your countrymen. Norway is not perfect, but we do all share equal right under law, and we have the right to give our hand with all the legal rights that follow, to that special someone in our lives in marriage. That is a precious gift, one that all should have. I can only imagine being denied to marry my wonderful girlfriend, who stands by my side through good and through evil, always being a pillar of support for me, and who I in return want to give everything I can, to be a pillar in her life as well. This is not unique. You have so many LGBT people in your state, and not only that, you have Christian LGBT members, who want a chance to stand before God and declare their love in a church. They also want to not be denied their rights, because the person they wish to be with and marry simply happen to have the same genitals as they do. They want their love to be recognized by state, and by government, and not as something forbidden and shamed.

Currently 9 states in America has legal same sex marriage. Don`t all your people deserve the same right? As a representative with the power of vote to give someone this gift, how can you with a clear conscience allow the majority of misinformed and ignorant people control your vote on a subject that is so important for so many people in your state? Sometimes we have to follow our gut, and do what is right, that`s the burden every leader faces. In a few years from now, people will have seen that this didn`t change their lives to the negative, but it did change some lives to the positive. Equal rights for everyone, whether black/white, or straight/gay. This is the final frontier in the battle towards equality; the women has won theirs, the black has won theirs, it is time for LGBT people to be included, given the rights they deserve, no longer be told by everything around them that who they are is something to be denied, shamed and hidden. Change has to start somewhere, and your country has come so far. Please help in come even further, and know that hearts are deeply connected to this battle, not just in your state, but all over the world. Your vote could be the deciding one!

If you read this mail, thank you for thinking over the words I have written. I hope for the best, for your state, your people and your country.

XXX
    Norway

I signed it with my real name, though I can`t do that here, hence the X :icon_wink