1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Opposition to Gay Marriage Higher Among Whites

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by gordilocks, Mar 7, 2013.

1. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In other news, most still oppose genocide and favor ice cream.

3. SkyDiver

Elderly? No issue in 20 years.

Evangelical? Among the ones who aren't leaving the faith entirely, there is still massive change taking place. As slow as the media makes it sound, Christians are rapidly changing their minds on the issue.

Non-educated? Their voices don't really hold that much power.

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'm just interested to see if this causes any of the dan savage supporting crypto-racists to show themselves

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We're the most privileged race and therefore the most likely to be cruel and lacking in empathy. Least surprising result ever.

6. SkyColours38

Well, it could be worse. As SkyDiver says, the elderly will be dead soon (especially if they eat lots of corporate junk food!) and the crazy end of Christianity will hopefully diminish a bit... As for those lacking in education, they are more worrying - their votes are (is it slightly fascist to say 'unfortunately' here?) worth just as much as educated people's votes, yet a worrying number of them don't seem to have the capacity for much rational thought, rather an over-developed susceptibility to the lure of hateful propaganda and conspiracy theories. Phew, glad that's out of me!

7. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yes let's blame people for being lured into bourgeois plans to keep divisions among people active

8. Emberstone

the gay side of me, coupled with the native american heritage side of me says that white people suck.

the white side of me looks at the tea party, and says that white people suck.

what does that say about me?

9. Convoy

White people suck and I'm paler than wonderbread.

I don't like the whole self assertive attitude, getting what they want and being able to hide it under skin color. It honestly makes me ashamed of my ethnicity, even though I still like who I am; if only we lived in a world where skin color didn't make a difference.

We've got a prime time to change it, but the results are unsurprising. Without education it's easy to judge without leaving the comfort of your own social circle, religion can cover up and make excuses for people and blanket stereotypes and beliefs are still there (Probably will be forever, at least for my lifetime.).

10. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am not surprised

11. sguyc

What's with all the self-hating white people. Get a grip seriously.

12. Music Heals

I can honestly say that the people who annoy me the most are uneducated people. But even more annoying is when a group of uneducated people join a church that's gone crazy.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the genocide of ice cream :slight_smile: Except vanilla. That has to stay.

14. So opposition is concentrated amongst stupid people and the elderly? I can live with that.

15. Emberstone

maybe some of us are sick of the true 'Racial Entitlement' that still underwrites nearly every aspect of how our society functions.

You would not believe how many of my relatives who are white as white can be, work the welfare system, and complain about the "niggers and spics" they see at the foodstamp office.

ME: "well, you are on assitance, so how does that make it different from other people?"

MY Great Aunt: "because this is my country."

Why shouldnt I feel shame about White Entitlement? We dont live in a utopia where you are valued by the work and effort you put forward, but that doesnt mean we should be apathetic to the fact that your race, gender, and religion affects how easy you get a job, how much you are paid, and what rights you are entitled to, even though the constitution says rights have to be universal to all free, law-abiding citizens.

16. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    White guilt?

17. Eric

It probably comes from a recognition of privilege and the desire for true racial equality.

18. Femme

I am Hispanic and It's my friends that are not white that had the biggest issues with my being bisexual since they tended to be "religious." There is hate in every race. I think religion is a bigger indicator of hatred for gays. My former best friend told me I was going to burn in hell and tried to convince me not to turn my back on Jesus. She was and still is a Baptist. She was also not white.

I think it's lack of education and religion that influences people the most. The fastest growing group in the United States is the Hispanic population that is mostly Catholic with a large increase in Evangelicals. It's not race, it's religion.

19. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This the States only, where religion plays a big part :slight_smile:

20. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    More proof that the whole "blacks and Hispanics are opposed to gay marriage" thing was a fantasy of the National Organization for Marriage.