1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News "Don't Say Gay!"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PurpleRain, Mar 8, 2013.

1. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So now not only can teachers not try to help LGBT students understand that what they're going through is a natural thing and that there isn't anything wrong with them. They run the risk of, because this is in a conservative state, being outed by teachers, counselors, and administrators and possibly being kicked out of their homes and put into straight camps. This is almost as bad as last years "Potty Police" Bill that wouldn't let trans* people use their gender appropriate restrooms. :dry:

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is actually a little old but still an annoying bill.

3. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I figured it was a little out of date but I searched and didn't find it anywhere on here SO... here it is. :slight_smile:

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow Tennessee is putting Gay rights back 20 years, not surprising really as Tennessee is famous for the Scopes Monkey Trial, when they put a school teacher on trial for teaching Darwin's Theory of Evolution to pupils :slight_smile:

5. Every time this kind of thing pops up in parliament and government I feel a little part of my soul die. If we were truly as evolved as we think we are surely we could see past such ignorance and just realize that everyone out there- black, white, gay, straight, asexual, pansexual, bisexual, transsexual, intersex etc-are all just human. We all smile when were happy, cry when were sad and every one of us bleeds red.
    Honestly though, they would stoop so low as outing? Really?
    It's despicable that the piece quoted above that was even considered.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ho-lee shite. Calling parents to notify of possible gayness? Are they trying to annihilate people's lives? This is emotional abuse.

7. Cthulhu

To paraphrase the intentions behind this poor excuse of a bill:

"DEM GAYS R GONNA SPREAD DA GAY TO ALL R CHILDURREN"

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As for calling the parents, note that according this all the school needs is to "think" someone is gay. That's just wonderful. There must be plenty of kids who are 100% straight who get labeled gay. Some of them might end up in "camp" in the coming years.

Another thread talks about gay hostile countries. I commented there that it was a list of places I think I'll avoid (or something like that). I'm now thinking of adding Tennessee to that list....

9. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Imagine how I feel. I live here and it almost got the point where I couldn't even go to the right bathroom to pee! Thank God that bill died. :dry:

10. AspieXLDS

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd just like to point out how amusing it is that a Republican (aka, a member of the Christian right) says that 'feelings/emotion do not control the actions of a mentally healthy adult human being'. Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but last I checked, religions, especially Christian based ones, are all about what 'feels right' or 'the Spirit testifies to them that this is the right thing through a burning feeling in the bosom' (also known as indigestion or heartburn). So, to see that quote amused me to no end. Nice to hear the bill died, though.

11. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh no, this bill is still trying to be pushed through. I was talking about that stupid "Potty Police" Bill that wouldn't let trans* people go to their appropriate restrooms if their birth certificate says they're the opposite gender. It would've been considered a criminal offense complete with a $50 fine. It died because trans people already face enough hardships and sending a trans woman into the men's restroom could lead to very real threats of harassment, assault, rape, and murder. Anyway back to this bill, I know a lot of people that would be beaten and kicked out if this passed and they had to report gay and supposedly gay children.

12. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG! I LOVE IT! Lmfao! XD

13. newgirl31

I am so TAKEI! Thanks for that video! And yeah this bill is just one of many extremist things that senator is trying to get press with...no way it would pass. He also wanted to give death certificates to all women who have an abortion performed.

He is a joke...maybe if we ignore him he will go away.

14. Emberstone

if feelings do not control the behavior of mentally healthy adults, then he would never have been granted a marriage license, becuase he is mentally ill.

15. revi

revi Guest

I can't wait when we reach the point where it seems as racist as ignoring someone who is black.
    [​IMG]

#16 revi, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  16. Music Heals

Who makes the decision to elect these kinds of people?

17. Ianthe

Similar people, unfortunately.

18. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel compelled to say something here since I introduced this topic. Even though the Legislation here sucks, it really isn't the people's fault. A lot of people here are understanding and accepting individuals from my experience (there are exceptions of course) and they're deceived into believing that the people that they elect are on their side. There's a lot of friendly relations with senators and other politicians in the state to create an effect of caring. They also create problems and fix them so that people will be more compelled to vote for them, and unfortunately it works. But honestly speaking from experience Tennessee really isn't a bad place to live. I'm very proud of my state because it is quite a nice place with mostly friendly people. :slight_smile:

19. Femme

And yet people ask me why I feel compelled to remain in the closet in my school district. My students were working on projects related to the Bill of Rights and one student was researching gay marriage and gay adoption. She even interviewed teachers that had no problem telling her that it was wrong for homosexuals to adopt. It was a great research project and I was impressed. I was also equally appalled by some of my colleagues and the things they were quoted as saying.

I was sharing this project with my assistant principal prior to her coming to observe my teaching and she told me that I needed to get parent permission to discuss these topics in class. I work in a public school in the North East where it is illegal to discriminate against LGBT people. This assistant principal also said that I should tell this girl's mother what she is working on because "she might be gay." Of course, I never followed up on any of those "suggestions."

The ignorance never ceases to amaze me. It's no wonder I stay in the closet at work.