1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Jesus vs. the Pharisees

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SupremeEmperor, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Let me begin by saying I find modern christianity utterly ridiculous, inconsistent and hypocritical. But I'd like to address a specific instance of stupidity; the claim by the religious establishment that Jesus Christ would support their twisted war on gays. The New Testament is full of examples of Jesus criticizing the religious leadership of his day (the Pharisees) for over-adherence to literal interpretations of the law of Moses to the point that they ruined people's lives and forgot what the point of their faith really was. Isn't that exactly what modern evangelicals do when it comes to gays? Over-interpret to serve their own twisted agendas, ruin lives and lose touch with their own faiths? To the point that many "christians" make discrimination their life goal, there are way too many "christian" organizations devoted solely to making life for LGBT people a living hell. I refuse to believe that Jesus Christ (who, despite not liking his fan club, I really like as a person) would have ever put up with this (especially on a topic he never once thought was important enough for him to say anything about).

2. Ridiculous

These are the same people who, if asked, would swear Jesus was white. They really don't know what they are doing - they are making their own opinions independently and then coming up with the religious justification afterwards.

3. Ticklish Fish

i don't know about you, but back in my (chinese) church I think they also bashed a little on celebrities for being snobby or not being "sacred" enough or something lolol

LMAO, have you seen those children colored version of bible books? DAMN, PEOPLE IN GENESIS LOOKS SO WHITE

4. castle walls

So you probably agree with the quote that is usually attributed to Gandhi, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ".

I totally agree with you. The problem is that a good amount of Christians don't really read the Bible so they have no idea what is really says. A lot of Christians just listen to what their pastor tells them. Personally, I don't understand why you'd dedicate your life to following a book that you haven't read but that is just me. People are always shocked to hear the I read the entire Bible

According to this website,

5. Colombiana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As a person who came from a family deeply rooted in Christian Values. I can say that not all Christians are the stereotype bible-thumping bashing anti-gay rhetoric screamers. I absolutely understand where you are coming from! Look up the Matthew Vines video on Youtube and his presentation on the Bible and Homosexuality! Very eye opening!

6. I really like that quote.

7. SkyColours38

Just yes. Thank you.

8. Fintan

The problem with Christianity is that it allows people to join. If people weren't allowed in, the faith would be perfect. The problem is that all the church institutions are filled with the same flawed people that run our governments, our schools and our hospitals. :wink:

9. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Christianity is most definitely at times ridiculous, very hypocritical, and insanely inconsistent. But, not everyone "Christian" is that way. Some truly believe what they preach, they actually read the bible, they actually LOVE their God. I'm learning that you can be just as close-minded to Christians (and other faiths) as they can be to gays and other things people deal with :/

10. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stupid, hypocritical bigots have generally ruined Christianity. They have turn it into an almost exclusive club to join, which completely contradicts what Jesus wanted. I am a Christian myself; but I only really follow the message of salvation and try to live a humble life. The Bible is so archaic and open for mistranslation that I see it as nothing more than a set of general guidelines to follow. As for modern day society; I like to think that Jesus being alive today would be akin to the "Return of the King" episode of The Boondocks. He would probably be spending most of his time tossing Pharisees out of churches and denouncing things like The 700 club. I would really love to hear his thoughts on The Vatican and pedophilia being covered up. Knowing Bible-thumpers they would probably go as far as to denounce Jesus for speaking against them. :lol:

11. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Seriously though, if a modern Jesus showed up, they would end up modernly crucifying him. And he would still be the bad guy :/

12. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your statement reminded me of this scene from South Park.
    Rabbit Stew - Video Clips - South Park Studios
    They totally summed up radical Christians in that episode. :lol:

13. And when they denounced him, they'd do it "In Jesus' Name." Go figure.

14. DoriaN

... Just what does this topic have to do with 'news'?

15. You got me. I guess I still think of this as the Rights/Issues forum and posted here by reflex.