1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Survey shows opposition to gay marriage is declining in the US

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pollsters show same sex marriage support gaining across the US

There used to be a time, very recently, when marriage equality took a constant beating in all polls. Now US voters seem more and more comfortable with LGBT families having the same rights of their straight counterparts.

This past week top pollsters for Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama released a report that argued 'significant opposition to the freedom to marry is increasingly isolated within narrow demographic groups while a much broader and more diverse majority are ready to let same-sex couples marry.'

The study, completed by Jan van Lohuizen and Joel Benenson, was released on 7 March. In 2004, van Lohuizen was a pollster for Bush. Benenson was a strategist for Obama. Their work is sponsored by Freedom to Marry, one of the organizations fighting the Defense of Marriage Act.

'Publicly released polling since November 2012 shows that support for the freedom to marry now stands at roughly 53 percent of the voting public,' the report finds.

The two operatives also note that gay marriage is turning into a wedge issue between young and old Republicans.

'Among Republicans under age 30, 51 percent support the legalization of same-sex marriage in their state, while 46 percent oppose,' the pollsters wrote.

van Lohuizen maintains it's time GOP elders pay attention to the shifting opinions.

'One of the most striking developments in recent years is the internal debate happening within the Republican Party, as these numbers show,' the Republican pollster said in a statement. 'With the under-30 supporters continuing to increase, it’s clear that the party has to take that into account – the sooner, the better.'

This might be hard to do, considering where the GOP stands officially. At the most recent Republican convention, where Mitt Romney was nominated to run against Obama, the party was clear where it stood in regard to gay and lesbian couples.

'We reaffirm our support for a Constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman,' the platform announced at the end of 2012 August. 'We applaud the citizens of the majority of States which have enshrined in their constitutions the traditional concept of marriage, and we support the campaigns underway in several other States to do so.'

2. person54

Awesome News!!! Hopefully this support spreads into other things such as employment protection laws or more anit bullying programs.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in Washington, and I remember them saying saying same sex marriage was something our state was not ready for within the last 10 years. I think even Christine Gregoire (last governor, a Democrat--not that we've had anything but Democrats since 1980-something) saying this.

And yet, last November, voters approved same sex marriage. And it wasn't even remotely close.

4. Femme

Great news. May it continue to rise for those in favor.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great news!

When you post articles, can you include the source? I like to see where they came from.

6. Music Heals

This is awesome news! Hopefully within the next handful of years, when younger republicans start to move into offices, and older republicans take notice of what the other half of the party believes, some serious progress might occur. I hope.

7. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

That's great!!!

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  9. Hypnotico

Hypnotico Guest

That's great news, I'm very positive about gay equality becoming a they-treated-gays-how? thing in like 20 years.

10. How much you wanna bet fundies are gonna get their own poll saying opposition is higher than ever?

11. Incognito10

I think this past US election was perhaps a turning point for the reublican party. It will be interesting to see how they proceed in the future. My guess is that they will move more toward middle ground on social issues. Of course there are going to continue to be the extreme right-wing nuts though.

12. AspieXLDS

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can guarantee this'll happen in Utah, which is most definitely one of those 'narrow demographic areas' mentioned above as continuing to be against marriage equality. Mormons've got to keep controlling their masses, and they haven't started 'preparing' the flock for it by teaching it's okay.... even civil marriages are still considered a 'threat' in Utah.... (rolls eyes)

But I am glad to see the news that the opposition is losing ground on this issue. This, that thing about the kid who was cured of HIV, all of it points to a much brighter future for all.