1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Anti-gay marriage leaflets distributed in Auckland

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Opponents of same-sex marriage are being slammed for distributing leaflets saying legalising the move will result in more incidences of AIDS and syphilis, and see the end of titles such as "husband and wife".

The leaflets were placed on cars in Auckland yesterday, including at AUT on the North Shore.

Labour MP Louisa Wall's Marriage Equality Bill is back before Parliament for its second reading tomorrow night.

Ms Wall says she would never deny any right for people to speak out and express their views.

But she is concerned leaflets such as this one promote information that's simply misleading and wrong.

Anti-gay marriage leaflets distributed in Auckland - National - NZ Herald News

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2013 at 01:44 AM ----------

Anyone from Auckland on here have a point of view?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :icon_bigg

3. Ridiculous

Here's the actual flyer:

[​IMG]

4. PinkFluff

Well, I live in New Zealand, not Auckland, but I think that no one will be swayed by this.
    The only anti gay people at my high school aren't calling the LGBT people "faggots" or the like.

I am so lucky.

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

Also that is the most hilarious thing I've read.

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2013 at 04:42 PM ----------

Also on their websites I found this article
    "I'm gay but I'm against same-sex marriage"
    I’m gay but I’m against same-sex marriages | Protect Marriage NZ

WHAT.

5. Tlarkul

As someone from a country where gay marriage is legal, all I have to say is this: this is theological B.S.; apparently, someone never visited a country where marriage equality has been put into practice years ago (the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada, South Africa, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Iceland, Argentina, Denmark).

#5 Tlarkul, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    False. We Canadians live in a police state straight out of V for Vendetta because of the dreaded gay marriage.

7. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for posting the story Dublin Boy.

I live in Auckland, I have to say that I have only seen the leaflets in online news stories about them. I don't think they have been widely circulated, I mentioned them to a few of my straight colleagues at lunch today and not one of them had seen the leaflet ( or was even aware of them until I mentioned them).

I feel pretty confident that the bill will make it through its second reading. For those not familiar with the system our parliament is loosely based on the British system, but without a House of Lords. A bill goes through three 'readings'. The first one was a few months ago and it passed by 80 votes to 40. After that the public were given their opportunity to make submissions to the select committee. That committee reported back to parliament recently with a recommendation that the bill proceed with one modification to make it clear that no celebrant would be compelled to officiate at a gay marriage if it was against their beliefs. My understanding is that the second reading (tomorrow our time) is generally the toughest and that it is almost unheard for a bill to make it through the second reading and not finally be passed into law.

Obviously with living in the largest city in the country and having friends who tend to be pretty liberal I may have an overly optimistic view, but I would be astounded and extremely disappointed if this does not make it into law (although I suspect tomorrow's vote will be tighter than the 80/40 split on the first reading)

Interestingly the 'youth wings' of the 8 largest political parties in New Zealand made a joint declaration in support of Marriage Equality yesterday, I can't think of anything else that they have EVER agreed on. Once again it shows the split in views is very much along demographic lines with the older generation least likely to favour equality while in general the younger generation can't understand why it isn't already in place.

To me the leaflets are a last desperate measure by a small extreme group ...it is still disturbing that they have been circulated, but they don't seem to have generated any reaction other than disgust ... at the leaflets, rather than at Marriage Equality.

8. They tried to get people to oppose gay marriage in Auckland? Auckland? Waste of paper.

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2013 at 09:01 AM ----------

Yes. The dreaded Canadian police are feared the world over.

9. photoguy93

It's kind of comical. It doesn't make much sense. Frankly, you won't get anywhere with these people. The only ones that will benefit from this are the ones that already beieve it's bad.

10. Tlarkul

:eek: ...You realise I listed other examples besides Canada; as in places not controlled by Harper (I will repeat: the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, South Africa, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Iceland, Argentina, and Denmark).

Dublin Boy, I apologise if I somehow got everyone off topic.

11. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was just making a joke. When I posted, your post didn't have the examples.

12. Tlarkul

Sorry about that; I thought you were serious (the curse of writing and reading text).
    I also tend to edit my posts too; it took me a while to find that list of countries.

Getting back on topic, even in Canada there are people who distribute leaflets like this; there was a man who was recently sentenced to pay a $10,000 fine because two of the five leaflets he distributed violated the provincial charter of human rights. From what I understand, he's trying not to pay the fine. :confused:

13. darlig ulv

I love how they think that monogamy will cause a rise in STDs. This woman knows shit.

14. I hate the fact that they make claims with no research or evidence to back their points.
    I bet I could make a flyer with half-assed claims and pure propaganda.
    Actually, there are already examples of that in the past; bigots like these just halts the progression of those fighting for their rights (temporarily). We've seen it before.

15. StormySea

I love how the train of thought with those people is 'If we don't make it legal, it'll go away!' xD
    Unfortunately, there is little hope in reversing that mindset. >.<

What really irks me is the fourth bullet on the flyer; the bullet about trouble in families and how it makes it seem as though having a gay kid lowers your social class. :/ However, the rest of it is actually funny in an ironic way xD
    Hopefully no one is taking these flyers very seriously...

16. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i thought same sex marriage is legal in Auckland?

is it not? im pretty sure the "Destiny Church"will have a field trip with these flyers....

anyone in Nz following this thing? i heard that Destiny church had a anti gay march some years ago...

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Words like mother, father, husband, and wife, are to be banned."

[Citation needed]

18. Ridiculous

We don't pay attention to the Destiny Church.
    And no, there is no marriage equality in NZ at the moment.

19. caseyann

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is wrong with the world? I don't get it.