1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio elected as 266th Roman Catholic pontiff

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Eric, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Eric

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio elected as 266th Roman Catholic pontiff

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) rights in Argentina are the most advanced in Latin America, following the legalisation of same-sex marriage, that also includes full adoption rights, on 15 July 2010. Upon legalising gay marriage, Argentina became the first country in Latin America, the second in the Americas, and the tenth in the world to do so.

How will the New Pope be able to defend his own countries Stance on Gay Rights in conflict with the Catholic Church?

3. Mogget

What makes you think he will defend it? Cardinals aren't representatives of the government.

4. Aldrick

Here are some of the past positions he took, according to the (now constantly updated) Wikipedia entry.

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As a Argentinian these are his fellow Countrymen & Women, they obviously believe in Gay Rights, would he condemn his own people in favour of the church or will he move away from the homophobia of the Catholic church & steer them away, towards being more acceptable?

I guess the above Post answers that :slight_smile:

#5 Dublin Boy, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. Eric

He's likened gay couples adopting to child abuse, so I doubt he'll ever defend Argentina. But he wasn't elected as a representative of Argentina, he was elected because a 2/3 majority of the college of Cardinals believe he is the best representative of the Catholic church at this time.

When compared to Catholic orthodoxy over the last 30+ years, he seems to me at least to be a palatable choice for progressives within the church even if he's still conservative. I would have been outraged if Peter Turkson were elected (he defended the "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda), but this is sort of a "meh" choice to me.

7. Cthulhu

8. Dalmatian

He's a Roman Catholic cardinal. His mission will be to continue the two thousands years of tradition, not to "defend" or promote the legislation two years old. The Catholic church (i.e. Roman see) is four times as old as European knowledge of the existence of Americas.

Nothing in Rome changes suddenly. It will take a couple of popes more until there are enough cardinals who grew up in an LGBT tolerant society. Then, when such a cardinal gets elected, something can start happening.
    Cardinals who are likely to be elected pope usually spend a decade or two as cardinals and a decade or two before that as bishops. They are isolated for far too long.

We will wait for LGBT rights in Catholicism. But it will happen. The question of homosexuality in Catholicism (and Christianity in general) is a question of interpretation, rather than scripture.

9. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with this strongly. Turkson would have been horrible.

In any case, Francis is probably as good as was possible. Anyone more liberal than him would never get the papacy, but plenty of people more conservative could.

Also, from Daily Kos:

Definitely better than the more conservative groups in the church.

10. Femme

We could have done much worse.

11. Dan82

the fact that he is the first pope in 913 to choose a unique name is a sign that he is a reformer.