1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News New Pope: Francis believes gay adoption is child abuse

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pope Francis was elected as the leader of the Roman Catholic Church today (13 March).

Argentinian Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 76, was chosen by the conclave of 115 cardinals as a successor to Benedict XVI.

Tens of thousands of faithful Catholics broke into cheers as the white smoke indicated the new pontiff had obtained the required two thirds majority, which happened in the fifth round of voting over two days.

Francis is still a conservative choice, but has taught the ‘importance of respecting gay individuals’.

However he strongly opposed same-sex marriage legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine government, calling it a 'destructive attack on God's plan'.

In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: ‘Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God.

‘We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.’

In the past, he has also called the adoption of gay couples child abuse, saying it was discrimination against children.

Pope Francis follows Benedict XVI, who in the past called gay people a ‘defection of human nature’ and a ‘threat to world peace.’

2. GingerGuy

I wasn't expecting anything out of him anyway. There's no hope for the church. I don't care about it at all and in my eyes it's nothing but a hypocritical institution which will only loose more and more power as the years go by. If even a pope who comes from a liberal country acts like this, then nothing will change.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "In the past, he has also called the adoption of gay couples child abuse, saying it was discrimination against children."

He might want to look up the definition of discrimination. I don't think it means what he thinks it means.

4. Dalmatian

The important thing to see here is that gay people are not considered sinful by the Catholic church just by their existence. The problem is in people who engage in gay activities. Even then, it's considered a sin, but if you honestly repent, all's ok.

So, when a Catholic cardinal, bishop, priest or scholar say that gay people should be respected, that means that everything should be done to show them (us) that what they are doing is wrong and that they need to change. You should definitely not read into that as "gay is ok". It's not.

5. Ianthe

Awesome. Makes me super excited to participate in my sister's Catholic wedding this summer. /sarcasm

6. campervankid

I'm not trying to offend anyone who is catholic here or sound stupid I am just curious. What is it that the Pope does? :slight_smile:

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Wasn't expecting anything different, to be honest.

8. Aldrick

New Pope. Same as the Old Pope.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Answer

Christ is our King and ruler of the Kingdom of Heaven. Being one of the apostles, Peter was subject to the same priveleges and obligations as the other apostles. Bishops are the equivalent in today's Catholic Church.
    However in Scripture Jesus promised that He would build His Church on Peter and He gave the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven to Peter alone. "You are Peter and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in Heaven." (Matthew Ch 16)
    Taking this at face value the role/purpose of St Peter and his successors is to ensure access to the benefits of the Kingdom of Heaven for those authorised to receive them and this is supported by the instruction "feed my lambs", "feed my sheep". In order to maintain legal harmony between heaven and earth this passage of St Matthew's Gospel also provides that whatever he binds or looses on earth, apparently in the execution of this duty, will also be bound or loosed in heaven.

Answer

He is the spiritual leader of the Catholic Church,He continues the role St. Peter instituted after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ,who Instructed Peter in the establishment of His Church on earth.Peter then handed down this authority from Pope to Pope until the present day.
    He is the head of the Catholic church and has the final say on everything pertaining thereto.
    Catholic Answer

The Holy Father's role is to be Christ's Vicar on earth, see St. Matthew 16:17-19.

10. campervankid

Oh right, thanks. Well if he is so important though then why do they only choose people that are really old?

11. Munyal

That is a valid question. He's probably just going to kick the bucket in like, three years anyways.

12. Emberstone

weird, cause the world and history says the same thing about catholic priesthood...

13. Eric

To quote Fiddler on the Roof, "That I can tell you in one word: Tradition!" Aside from maybe the notion that someone might not be theologically mature enough (pardon me if that's the wrong expression), I don't see any practical reason the college of cardinals is so disinclined to elect young popes. I guess you could say the cardinalate is an old boys' club. :wink:

14. go figure. wasn't expecting anything real progressive towards us out of the new pope. nor was I from the last one. nor will I from the next.

15. Dalmatian

They are guided by the Holy Spirit in their elections :grin:

Ok, seriously, they can elect any non-married Catholic male. It just so happens that they like to elect one of themselves and to become a cardinal you have to go through all these positions that take the whole life :slight_smile:

16. Ridiculous

Catholicism is child abuse. Both directly and indirectly.

Seems strange to me that people other than their god decide who is that god's representative. Surely their god has the motivation to do at least this, if nothing else.

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

While I agree that threatening children with eternal damnation is child abuse (and I think the priests molesting kids speaks for itself), keep in mind that there are plenty of Catholic parents out there who don't use their religion to abuse their children, either by threatening them with hell or through the dissemination of Catholic guilt.

Do some parents do that? Sure, and I'm just as against that as I'm sure you are. But let's not throw all Catholic parents under the rug with the abusive ones.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's perhaps that God either doesn't intervene directly with humanity anymore, or just doesn't like/doesn't care about earthly religion enough to actually participate. Either way, it is most certainly more about secular power than any divine plan.

19. Dan82

that the new pope thinks this way is only slightly more surprising than that the new pope is a Cardinal.

20. kylo

I find it quite hilarious he thinks gay adoption is child abuse when you sit back and think about the thousands of priests around the world over the years that have been accused of or charged with sexually molesting little children. They have no room to talk.