1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News American sympathy for Israel at record high?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Probablyrandom, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Probablyrandom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Poll: American sympathy for Israel at record high | JPost | Israel News

I have officially lost faith in the American public. Well, most of them.

I just..I can't fathom this anymore, I mean, granted, many crimes go unreported on Israel's side, and the American media certainly doesn't help, but, I'm sorry..how is this possible?

Is it me, or is the world losing humanitarianism?

2. sguyc

Because after hearing both sides of the arguement some people choose to side with evidence and logic instead of blind emotion?

3. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with Random over here. Most Americans haven't heard the Palestinian side. For example, that girl who was shot by the IDF soldier last month, she didn't get reported, and what about those lies fed to the people about Palestine being a barren desert? Also, what about the whole argument that the Palestinians don't exist and they're just a 'made-up' people. I don't call that listening to both sides. Most people don't know about the Palestinian loss of land issue, for example, after Israel was proclaimed, a lie was fed in the Israeli educational system about the Arab states URGING the Palestinians to leave their homes, and that it was that warning that caused the exodus, even though there are no witnesses of the warning, no record, NOTHING. Yet, this still is circulating in the Israeli curriculum.

#3 BrokenWings, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This doesn't exactly break the great American tradition of siding with the oppressor.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Americans are stupid and gullible. The corporate media, the politicians, pretty much the entire Beltway Washington establishment consistently push a one-sided narrative in favor of Israel as an innocent victim, giving absolutely zero attention to the Palestinian side of history. It's a tragedy, but what else should we expect?

I remember a few years ago some politician (I think Howard Dean, not entirely sure) was attacked as "anti-Semitic" because he said he wanted an "even-handed" approach to the Middle East peace process. That's how skewed this debate is the United States; if you don't blindly support the crimes against human rights committed by the state of Israel, you are an anti-Semite.

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    & just as often being the oppressor

#6 gordilocks, Mar 16, 2013
  7. LailaForbidden

Oh, yeah. That's cool. Let's sympathize with the same people that are committing mass genocide. I guess it's fine because, hey, we created this monster! ugh... :/

8. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyone else believe that our alliance with Israel is one of the most worthless and disadvantageous that we have ever had? They are one of the biggest reasons that many people in the middle east hate us. Israel is hyper-aggressive and thinks that it can get away with anything because it has the U.S. on its side. That country just makes me so angry.

9. darlig ulv

Having been in Israel, I can tell you that they really don't start up most of these issues, I was in Israel when the Second Lebanon War began, and trust me, the rockets first came from the other side. They happen to be extremely advanced, so the retaliations are brutal. The problem is Hamas and Hezbollah who begin firing rockets and starting wars that they can't win, regardless of the innocent lives in Arab territories.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support the Israeli people only because the Muslim countries all hate them, and an enemy of ones enemy* is a friend.

Not that I would ever claim Israel is fully in the right, because the Palestinians definitely got screwed. If it were up to me, I'd cut Israel in half, give one part to Palestine, and have Jerusalem itself governed by some new created entity comprised of Christians, Jews, and Muslims. Bam. Everyone can have a piece of the holy city.

*I don't mean to imply Islam itself is the enemy of America. But some countries over there do harbor extremists who openly want to destroy us, which, while not exactly grounds for war, is unacceptable.

11. MerBear

there's nothing wrong for feeling sorry for another country or the people in it.
    countries have problems too if you haven't noticed even if they go against Americans. we go against other countries too. how many times have we gone to war with other countries?

12. Probablyrandom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol, usually sorry is directed towards the people who are starving to death in the desert, not the highly advanced nation with Nuclear weapons.

---------- Post added 16th Mar 2013 at 09:27 PM ----------

Well, it is true that some Arabs are anti-semites, but speaking from experience, you'd hardly come across someone who's against the Israeli people, most of them are hostile towards Israel as a nation. Many Muslim nations have re-affirmed this I think. The Gulf is mostly neutral towards this whole issue, as long as they can make money. Egypt is now cutting of the trade route pipe in Gaza causing most of the population to starve, the Saharan states are having trouble keeping up with their own matters, let alone Israel and Palestine. Iran might be a threat, but attacking would be the stupidest move in history. Iran's hostility was basically composed of 2-hour threats of war with no real action. And Levant is a boiling pot of political and religious turmoil, Jordan goes all Switzerland anyways, Lebanon can be paired up with the Iran issue, and Syria is a warzone now.

#12 Probablyrandom, Mar 16, 2013
  13. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    given that america put the extremists who want to destroy you in power you can't really be surprised when they do something

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there is that too. I never understood why we would hastily back whoever is temporarily better for our interests. Sort of like the replacement for Egypt's Mubarak.

15. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    it goes even further than that though. it was only through US intervention in Afghanistan [in their attempts to stop Soviet expansion] that put the Taliban & Al Qaeda in positions in power in the first place

16. sguyc

I get all my info from actual israelis and Palestinians, but believe what you want. Most of them think all the opinions in this thread are silly and simplistic. Fucking genocide, ha! I am sympathetic to both sides.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wouldn't that be true for anywhere, though? Unless you're saturated in a particular country's news/culture, any opinions you have of them are going to be simple, and if no justification is shown, silly. People think Americans all drive big cars, wear cowboy hats, and shoot guns in the air.

18. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sympathies are with both sides. Demonizing one side or the other will lead to nothing. You can argue forever about who has the right to land, who should be there. But the fact is, its too late for that. Different people are sharing that land, and I just have to trust that people of both sides who are living with and involved in these conflicts are learning and gaining the experience and wisdom it will take to create a lasting and peaceful compromise.

19. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    its annoying when 16 year olds talk about subject they know nothing about. if you want to criticize either Israel or Palestine,
    you are welcome to research the topic. and not go spouting kill there rocket there rock thrown. people get killed all over the world for hate. but believe it or not those who hate are far outnumbered by those who don't,

You wont see in the news the the Palestinian and Israeli playing football together or work together. only the bad stuff. so please grow up.

I served as a commander in the IDF for 3 years all around Palestinian cities and wait oh i got into no quarrel with any of them.

there are Radicals all over the world, we call them terrorists and hate groups but they can also just be some random dude you will meet of the street.

i just want you to remember that what you see on the news is a fragment of the truth.

Steve

20. Harve

Simples! That worked really well for Cyprus, Ireland and Israel itself. :grin: (oh and I completely forgot about Germany and Korea, which are/were also roaring beacons of success)

#20 Harve, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013