1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 80s folksinger Michelle Shocked show stopped after anti-gay rant

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Folksinger Michelle Shocked, who was popular in the late 1980s-early 1990s, was performing at Yoshi's, a wonderful 500 seat club in the San Francisco area. Apparently, in the middle of the performance, she went on an anti-gay rant, saying that she was deeply afraid that same sex marriage would ruin the world or some such.

Not the most brilliant move in San Francisco. 2/3 of the audience got up and left. To its credit, the club immediately cut the lights and microphone, apologized to the crowd and offered refunds.

Now, all but 3 of the remaining clubs on her tour have cancelled the show dates, and there's a petition to cancel the last three.

While I believe in free speech, that sort of thing amounts to hate speech, and I think it's pretty amazing how much reactions have changed on this issue just in the last 5 years.

Full article here and in lots of other places on the web :slight_smile:

2. UndercoverGypsy

One does not go to San Fran and complain about gays. That just doesn't work. About the free speech thing, it may be free speech, but the clubs sure have the choice to cancel on her because she is a bigot. As long as she's not being killed or having her voice box removed, her free speech rights are completely intact. It's just that no-one gives a shit about her opinion.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh lord...the girl's a complete lesbian it's not even funny. She's a self-proclaimed born-again Christian and disputed claims she's a lesbian. You know what the translation to that is?: " I'm a lesbian and I hate myself so I'm just going to call myself a Christian and that will squash any rumour." duh.

4. why and/or how would you get into a rant about that in the first place is my question? :s
    (havent read the article yet though lol)

good on the venue to offer the crowd refunds though.