1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Michelle Shocked (unsurprisingly) lies her ass off in apology

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, now that every single US date on her tour schedule was cancelled as a result of her bigoted rant at the San Francisco club Yoshi's, Michelle Shocked is offering up an apology, claiming -- wait for it -- that she was speaking about "what other people believe" rather than what she, personally believes.

Here's the statement:

I hope no one buys this load of crap. Given that she's claiming she was misquoted, this isn't even a genuine apology.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given her background as "an avowed born-again christian"...this is total BS.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I posted this story on a thread earlier today & the Thread was closed down before anyone had a chance to comment on it & I am not sure why?

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Dublin Boy

You just need to provide a link to your source, if source there be.

Cheers!

5. Ridiculous

The irony is this thread doesn't have a source either :lol:

Of course she's "damn sorry" - damn sorry she doesn't have any work any more.

6. Jeff

Her career ended right there and then, she must be freaking out inside. I don't think there is a PR person in the world that could fix this mess she created.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But what an interesting outcome!

Power is speaking here folks, these "shocking" displays of stupidity and intolerance are no longer being tolerated. That she felt the need to give this lame explication says volumes of how far we've come!

8. Emberstone

"I didnt mean that you're fags and god hates fags when I said 'GOD HATES FAGS' in the gay capital of america, I just meant... well... thats not what I meant... PLEASE, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP BEING GOD-HATED FAGS, AND BUY TICKETS TO MY SHOWS SO I CAN CONTINUE TO HAVE CAREEER FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY YOU BUTTPOUNDING HELL-BOUND SINNERS!!!"

thats what I read into her mockpology.

9. The Dude

If it makes anyone feel better, she's getting ripped in half on twitter. She's trying to defend herself, and its painful to watch her embarrass herself. She needs to cut her losses.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not even as if her tour will be reinstated, she's only making this apology because she's aware of how much money she'll now lose.

11. Beware Of You

Complete and utter bull:***:

She went to San Francisco (Of All Places) , claiming to a "Born Again Christian" , spurted some Biblical derived homophobia which became a rant which only ended when the venue cut her mic and the lights.

I would love to see if she will get a visa for the UK and other places, hate speeches are generally frowned upon

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I listened to a recording of the entire 23 minutes of the second set. (The inflammatory statements were not, as she claimed, during the encore.) I've never seen her perform before, so I don't know if she's normally as weird as she was that night but she definitely had a few screws loose. And there's absolutely no question that the statement she made about Jesus coming back if gay marriage is allowed was about her and not about others. In the recording, she said "This is what some people believe, and it's what I believe too." As the audience started to turn, she added something about loving everyone, but still held onto her beliefs.

She sang this incredibly rambling thing (I hesitate to call it a song because it seemed like random phrases, about how she was persecuted, stuck to a random melody) and then talked more and dug herself in deeper.

Finally, the club manager came on, thanked everyone for coming to the show, and made it clear the show was over. She persisted in trying to sing and perform; they cut her microphone and the lights, and she kept performing... and then, when she finished her last, uh, song, she launched into a rambling statement that she didn't think she was going to get paid, so she said she wanted to "pass the hat" to get some money.

One of the people interviewed for one of the news articles said that after the show he went up to her and smiled (he'd never met her before), and she threw her arms around him and sobbed.

It seems pretty clear that she's got some sort of mental issue going on. I do believe that we have to take the consequences for our actions, and word came last night that the last venue on her US tour cancelled her appearance, so her tour is no more.

I do hope she gets help.

All in all... very, very odd.

She's also made things worse by

13. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Come ON you guys, we freak when people won't accept OUR beliefs and opinions, she was just stating HERS. The only reason peoole should be freaking out is because she is now denying something that everyone knows she meant.

14. DoriaN

I'm really upset about the lack of puns regarding her name.

15. Emberstone

lets not equate standing up for equality and human dignity with someone spewing hatefilled bile in an attempt to demonize a whole group of people who have been fighting against lies and slander.

we are not slandering fundementalist christanity, because fundementalist christanity slander's itself without our help.

16. redstormrising

She's entitled to express her opinion. She's not entitled to immunity from the consequences of expressing that opinion.

17. Aldrick

You'll not find a bigger advocate for freedom of speech than me. She's perfectly entitled to her point of view, and entitled to spew it whenever she's given the opportunity to do so. However, people are equally entitled to be offended, to voice their descent, and decide to not sponsor her show as a result. Those who oppose her also have a right to freedom of speech, and they are vocalizing it by canceling her appearances.

As an atheist, I cannot expect to be allowed and welcomed to speak on Sunday at Churches around the country, while insulting the Christians in the pews. Somehow, I think telling them that they need to "have a reality check" and get rid of their "fake Sky Daddy" will result in canceled appearances. If I was invited to speak at a Church, and I had previously spoken statements like that at another church which offended people, they would have the right to dis-invite me. In fact, I would expect nothing less.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

It is also mistaken to equate an opinion with a fundamental characteristic of human nature. People have the right to hate someone who is black, or a woman, or gay, or trans, or whatever. However, let's not make the mistake of thinking that these two things are equal. An opinion is NOT equal to a basic human characteristic. You can change opinions, but you cannot change your fundamental nature. Therefore, attempting to compare our fight for equal rights under the law to her opinions is like comparing apples and a crude lump of iron ore - they have nothing in common.

Furthermore, our goal - to paraphrase Byard Rustin - is not to get those who hate us to love us. It's to reshape the culture and values of society so that, while some people may continue to hate us, that they cannot openly manifest that hate without consequence.

What happened here in this situation is a fantastic thing. This is exactly what we want. We want people to spontaneously and viscerally react negatively to this type of hateful nonsense. This is why it is called a culture war, one sides values win out while the other side loses.

18. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You guys all made great points, forget I said anything. You're absolutely right, there will be consequences for what she said, whether or not she has freedom of opinion and speech.