1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Pope Francis Supported Civil Unions as Cardinal

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Dan82

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/03/pope-francis-supported-civil-unions-as-cardinal/

2. Ridiculous

He proposed civil unions because he knew that equality was coming. He couldn't stop it entirely, so this was just a last ditch effort to keep us as second class citizens.

Don't mistake it as support - it was purely the lesser of two evils in his eyes.

3. Whichever way you look at it, it still beats the times we used to (and in some places still do) get raped, beaten, abused and murdered for our supposed "lifestyle choice"
    It's a stepping stone at least. There will be Gay marriage eventually, of this I'm sure. This is still huge for a Pope to have even voiced support for such a cause, albiet in the past.

4. Aldrick

It will be interesting to see what type of stance he takes now that he's Pope. He's certain to see gay marriage spread and grow in support around the world provided he lives at least another decade or more. So, he'll be faced with the same situation he was faced with in the past.

That being said, I'm in agreement with Ridiculous. His effort there shouldn't be mistaken for support, he's made his views on gay people abundantly clear. It was merely a last ditch effort to prevent the inevitable, attempting to prevent full equality by supporting a separate and unequal outcome. He failed, and with luck, he will continue to fail.

5. Fintan

This is good news. People who thought that a Pro-gay marriage Pope would be elected after Benedict XVI or that the Catholic Church which touts 1.2 billion members worldwide will somehow disappear are nuts.

Moves towards the right side of the issue should be applauded not rebuked.

6. Aldrick

Don't mistake my comments for not supporting the Roman Catholic Church moving in this direction. I certainly hope that Pope Francis comes out in support of Civil Unions.

First, it's better than their current position, so it's an improvement.

Second, it would cause dissension within the Catholic Church itself as some of the more conservative members would chafe at even this minor concession.

Third, it could cause a potential rift between the religious right wing here in the United States and Catholics. In the past Catholics did not align well with the religious right, especially where I grew up. A lot of the wedges were papered over in the name of political expedience to support their social authoritarian agenda surrounding issues such as abortion and gay rights. Every moment they spend fighting each other is a moment they don't spend fighting us.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath. Not only would he not come out in favor of civil unions as Pope for the above reasons, but if the Catholic Church cannot get behind supporting condoms to prevent HIV infection... then there is little hope they'd get behind anything that remotely supports gay marriage. I figure they'll eventually come around - say, in 100 to 200 years maybe. Literally - it could take even longer than that.

I fully suspect the Mormon Church will become pro-gay before the Catholic Church will.

7. Ridiculous

Of course it's a good thing - however the Pope doesn't deserve any praise. The praise is due to the changing public attitude that has finally made it unacceptable for him to be completely anti-gay.

8. Kay

Kay Guest

He will support Same sex unions but they will not take place in the church. The church is already not obligated to marry anyone they don't think is in line with teachings. The church thinks we are not in line and so they will refuse. But to support civil unions is a great step it helps get the Catholic's behind us.

9. Darkru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well this will be an interesting thing to bring to my grandparent's dinner table. They're very devout Catholics and I'd like to see what they'd say to this.

10. Beware Of You

It depends on what he meen by "Unions".

If he means the type of union we can get in Ireland and the UK (changing in 2015) where its a marriage in all but name then he will be the first pope I will respect. I would rather see it called a marriage (since it is) but each to their own

If he means in reference to the "Union" offered in some US states which are nothing close to a marriage then I will see nothing different.

Now Skeptics Hat - I wonder how much he believes in it. Catholicism is dying in some countries, France used to be a very catholic country not hardly anyone under the age of 50 is a Catholic, Ireland is drifting the same way. In the Run-Up people said that the new pope would need to be a "Young Person's Pope" and most young people (in the west) are generally liberal and accepting of LGBT people. Seeing a grumpy pope which is just spinning hate at people will just knock people off.

I hope he is genuine in his actions, I have the odd situation of being a gay Christian (not a Catholic) and most Christians are actually accepting of people like me, the problems lie in the upper echelons

#10 Beware Of You, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013