1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News U.K. man gets 42-months for killing autistic, gay teen by setting him on fire

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jonathan, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Jonathan

2. The Dude

Yeah, because lighting an autistic kid on fire, after writing despicable things on his body, is "good-natured horseplay". I wonder how accidental lighting someone on fire is after dumping oil all over their body? Putting a match to that surely wouldn't burn, right?

This judge should be ashamed of himself.

Rest in Peace Steven Simpson

3. cita

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Three and a half years in prison is totally going to make this kid be less of a despicable shithead. And "accidental death," "good-natured horseplay?" fuck you. When was dumping tanning oil on someone and writing dickwad comments on him anything but tasteless? Moron judge.

4. RainbowMan

This is nothing short of a hate crime, there's no "good natured horseplay" about it.

They'll let just anyone become a judge these days (and I thought the runaway legal system was restricted to the US...)

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still trying to figure out what is the matter with the judge...

6. Ridiculous

If this is good-natured horseplay, I'd hate to see what would be required for the judge to classify it as a proper crime.

7. Nyanko

Huh? GOOD-natured my ass. He poured the oil on him in the first place which made the others convince him into lighting him on fire. His intent was obvious, this was no accident.

8. J Snow

9. silkfrog1292

This is what happens when the majority of Judges are typically old, white men/women with a mostly conservative upbringing. The fact that the legal system rewards those that are ultra-conservative in their decision making process only exacerbates this.

One can safely say that what the courts are willing to put up with and exonerate is usually 5-10 years behind the society-at-large

10. BornInTexas

What in the shit fuck is wrong with the judge? That is fucking horrible. He drenched the kid in oil and lit him on fire... HOW THE HELL IS THAT "good-natured horseplay?!"

11. Hexagon

*blinks*

I don't understand how dousing someone in gasoline and setting him on fire can be considered accidental.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good-natured horseplay my ass. And it's funny, that kid is going to be sexually assaulted in prison up the wazoo. He looks gayer than Simpson. I'm sorry to sound like an ass but well...yeah

Note: I do not condone rape in any form, but in this guy's case...I feel karma is going to hit him for what he did especially on Simpson's birthday......

13. falsereading

falsereading Guest

Saw this the other day and was aghast, I hope they go for an appeal however I don't hold out too much hope. I think the general tariff for murder here starts at 12-14yrs (even though the only punishment is 'life imprisonment' the judge sets the eligibility for parole) and stuff like this BBC News - Convicted murderer Scottish court sentencing broadcast shows what different planet these judges are on, kill someone and hide the body - 18yrs.

14. BornInTexas

On top of that, the guy wasn't even invited to his party. He was a party crasher. He set him on fire after pouring highly-flammable liquid on him...I fail to see where the judge missed the fact that he DELIBERATELY SET HIM ON FIRE!

15. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is absolutely vile. It sickens me that this kinda shit goes on by people in authority... especially in my own country. I can expect if I were set on fire and died, then my killers would get just as little shit as this guy?

16. Beware Of You

That is disgusting this must be murder, what type of "horseplay" involves :" Sheard took a bottle of Calypso tanning oil from Simpson’s bedroom and, as it was poured over him, others chanted: “Light it, light it.”

The court heard that Sheard then held a cigarette lighter to Simpson’s groin, and the highly flammable liquid instantly caught fire, and flames engulfed Simpson’s body."

This has to be a hate crime " “gay boy” written on his forehead, and “I love dick” scrawled across his chest."

No wonder people are becoming sick of the UK justice system when someone gets 42 months for this. I hope his family would appear the sentence as overly lenient, a poor guy died in what must have been a slow and agonizing death.

What has made me sick - writing homophobic messages on the kid's body, getting tanning oil and then setting fire to him "good natured horseplay" what planet is this judge on?

17. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Pardon me while I lose my faith in humanity.

This is beyond vile.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We need to start punishing people to an extreme degree just to set an example.

19. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From what I can see the Judge has got a bad reputation of having bad Judgement, this is another case!

Judge Keen was presiding over a trial of 31-year-old man accused of handling stolen goods, which he claimed were obtained on eBay.

He was eventually found guilty by a jury and sentenced to three years in prison, but the Court of Appeal quashed the conviction, Lord Justice Laws, saying,
    "We have been very greatly troubled about the judge's conduct in this case. We are bound to say we consider that the exchanges between the judge and counsel, especially on the first day, betray a rudeness and discourtesy of which the judge should be ashamed. His treatment of the issue about the appellant's change of clothes was brutal. His withdrawal of bail was at least questionable...
    Judge Keen had unfairly accused the defendant’s legal team of time-wasting at the very start of the trial and, after the first day, withdrew bail.

Judge Keen refused to allow the defendant to change his clothes until the prosecution had finished putting their case. On day three the defendant, who hadn't been able to shower in the cells, was able to put on the clean clothes, but only after he had given evidence.

When the defendant eventually got into the witness box, he burst into tears. Quashing the convictions, Lord Justice Laws said: "We have been very gravely troubled by the judge's conduct.

20. Emberblaze

.... Ridiculous... He set a PERSON (an albeit AUTISTIC person) on FIRE!!! And he only gets 3 years! What kinda justice is this?!