1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News An openly gay Croatian politician candidate for MEP

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dalmatian, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dalmatian

Wow, this really surprised me now. We are having elections for European Parliament members in a month and there's a candidate who is openly gay! He comes from a party I don't really like, but hey, it's something! He's gay and open and he's in Croatia!

tportal.hr (in Croatian)

2. nikom87

Wow this is great! You say he is from a party you don't like -- do you get th impression that he will create a pro-LGBT environment in Croatia regardless of political pressures if he gets elected?

3. Dalmatian

Nah, I think he's done more by being openly gay than he ever could through legislation or anything. Croatia is, I think, on a sure way towards full recognition of equality. Most people are ok with it, it's just the Catholic church and some loud trolls who are against. It will still take time and it's crushingly agonizing to have to wait, but I believe it's unstoppable now.

His party is the third by strength, which means that it is the one that will probably tip the majority in the next elections. They have an internal rule within the party to ban any form of homophobia. So that's positive.

So little is needed, really... just a few prominent people to come out. A politician or two, a few footballers.. maybe a couple of singers. That might almost be enough.