1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News first update from the Prop 8 oral argument

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dan82

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I don't think they will decide on prop 8. They will probably dismiss the case.

3. redstormrising

4. Dan82

SCOTUSblog ‏@SCOTUSblog 8m

Breaking: key vote Kennedy VERY uncomfortable striking down #prop8. Suggests dismissing case. Would leave in place 9th Cir pro-#ssm ruling.

SCOTUSblog ‏@SCOTUSblog 5m

There are not 5 votes to strike down #prop8 and recognize equal right to #ssm at this time

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2013 at 10:38 AM ----------

SCOTUSblog ‏@SCOTUSblog 3m

Arguments done. #scotus won’t uphold or strike down #prop8 bc Kennedy thinks it is too soon to rule on #ssm. #prop8 will stay invalidated.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wtf is that ^ don't worry about the lesbian and gay couples? Wtf does he mean by that. Or am I just too stupid to understand it.

6. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would interpret it to mean that no matter what happens, they will have their chance to marry.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The dumbassed conservative bigots have known since the first appeal of the invalidation of Prop 8 that they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell, from a constitutional perspective, of winning. Nobody credible thinks there's any good constitutional argument, and the arguments they used in the California trials were nonsensical, false, and otherwise completely full of shit.

So apparently their latest move, realizing they can't win, is to try to put it off for as long as possible. So they're saying to the Supremes, in effect, "Just don't decide anything, and let's continue to discriminate against lesbians and gays for as long as we can, until the inevitable happens."

What a nice thing for people who supposedly uphold Christian values about treating one another with kindness and respect.

8. Mogget

I fully expect the SCOUTS to punt this one. What I'm not so sure about is the DOMA case, since DOMA is so blatantly unconstitutional.

9. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel very strongly that this the repeal of DOMA is pretty solid -- but I am bracing myself!

**Also, could the Mods or Admin(s) merge this thread and the other Prop. 8 thread, perhaps into a Prop. 8/DOMA thread for all of the discussions concerning today and inevitably tomorrow's events?

10. stephenjack

Honestly, i have this overwhelming feeling inside me that Kennedy will do the right thing, whether it's dismissing the case, and therefore legalizing SSM in California by letting the previous court's ruling stand. Or striking down prop 8, or striking down DOMA, he will be on the right side of history.

11. Stripe101

I'm terribly sorry, but I really don't know what Prop 8 is. Is it good news or bad news for us?

12. Eric

Proposition 8 was the California ballot measure that banned same sex marriage in the state of California.

13. Stripe101

Ohhhhhhh. It's bad news... :eusa_doh:

14. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not necessarily, because it's probably about to go bye-bye. :wink:

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the upside guys, the National Organization for Marriage's website is down...either due to too many posts OR it was hacked :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Emberstone

teehee...

oral.

17. silkfrog1292

Judging by the questions and concerns raised by the Judges, despite concerns that the applicants do not have standing on the issue the court would probably give the case the green light.

Paul Hogarth: Prop 8 Likely to Be Repealed Narrowly; Court Hears DOMA Today

This is a good thing, because by forcing the court to deliberate on the issue, instead of simply dismissing the appeal we would be forcing them to go through the legal reasoning process and explain why they came to the decision to repeal (more likely) or uphold (less likely) prop 8. This document, especially if it rules against prop 8 would be extremely useful in our future fights for SSM.

That said though, I agree with Chip that especially since the backlash generated by Roe v. Wade the Supreme Court has been extremely hesitant to introduce any reforms. I predict they would wimp out and limit this case's effect to California.

The courts have traditionally been extremely slow in changing their ruling in accordance with shifts in social values. Think about the case of Lawrence v. Texas. It was ruled in 2003, the first state to repeal sodomy laws was Illinois in 1962 and by the 1980s the majority of states have repealed theirs.

18. stephenjack

Another honest opinion, I think the best outcome would be Prop 8 being struck down either by SCOTUS with a narrow ruling pertaining only to California, or they choose the "no standing" option, and let the ninth circuit court of appeals ruling stand. By letting California have gay marriage again, we win a huge battle, and although I agree whole heartedly that rights delayed are rights denied, if we push too far too fast, we will face great backlash. We are gaining steady support from legislators and the public year by year, week by week, day by day, and we've already seen this happen with Roe V. Wade----here we are 40 years latter, debating it because SCOTUS moved too soon too fast. Also DOMA is blatantly unconstitutional, and should be struck down by SCOTUS with a 6-3 ruling on states' rights grounds. Let's hope my prediction is what will happen!!! Don't worry---we will have full equality in 5,6 years tops :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

19. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regardless of how the 'government' views it -- people's awareness are still being stimulated and raised on these issues. The real key to fixing the state of equality in America is being out, open and visible members of society -- our only difference being who we love, the more people realize how common and un-abnormal it is. It will no longer be an abstract or unnatural idea or element spoken of, but real, living, breathing siblings, parents, family, and friends.

THAT is the key. The rest is just a stamp of 'approval.' Nice, but not essential. That will come in time, the people and reality are more important in the end.