1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Facebook Profile Pictures Go Red In Support Of Gay Marriage Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]

Facebook is going red in support of marriage equality.

As the Supreme Court convened to decide the fate of marriage equality -- and more specifically, the fate of Proposition 8, which outlawed same-sex marriages in California -- numerous Facebook users have changed their profile pictures to a red-hued version of the logo belonging to the Human Rights Campaign, an advocacy group for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals.

The standard HRC logo features a yellow equals sign against a navy background, but the group posted a red version to its Facebook page on Tuesday morning and encouraged users to adopt it as their avatars.

"Make sure you wear red to show your support for marriage equality. And make your Facebook profile red too!" the HRC told its over 1 million Facebook followers. By Tuesday afternoon, its post had been shared over 45,000 times and had received over 13,000 "likes."

Mashable notes that the move to adopt the HRC profile picture gained notable support after actor George Takei updated his own with the logo. LGBTQ@Facebook, the social network's official resource page, also changed its picture to the HRC's, and shared a story about the advocacy group's push.

Interestingly, the HRC had previously opposed the idea of bringing Proposition 8 before the Supreme Court. In a 2009 document co-signed by the HRC, American Civil Liberties Union, Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the Equality Federation, among other organizations, the groups argued that "the ballot box and not the courts should be the next step on marriage in California."

Facebook Profile Pictures Go Red In Support Of Gay Marriage Rights

2. Jonathan

Basically everyone that I'm friends with has changed theirs to a variation of the the equality sign. Personally, I have the one with Peppermint Patty and Marcie :slight_smile:

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This One :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

One For The Gamers :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    and for those of us who love Grumpycat:

[​IMG]

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one :slight_smile:

6. Allecto

I don't have one. I support gay marriage (obvi), but I really don't care for the HRC.

7. GwenCS

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wow, I had no clue the amount of people who actually call this a "fad". I changed my profile picture just a half hour ago, and already people are saying that "I'm just supporting a fad", since apparently tons of people are doing it just to look like they actually care, when they really don't. I'm keepin' the picture though.

8. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Nope, not changing my picture. I'm philosophically opposed to government-sanctioned, licensing, recognition of any form of marriage. Gay or straight. It is a person, private, sociocultural institution that the government should stay out of. I support equality from a fundamentally different viewpoint. Remove all the benefits heterosexuals receive and then I believe we are ALL equal.

9. J Snow

I had this image as my pic until I did some research on the hrc and decided I didn't want to promote them. I'm now using the image of a crossed out division symbol which I find much more trans friendly.

10. FunnyMonkey

I have it, but I just put up the Peppermint Patty and Marcie

11. Hopeful

I have it! I was about to post my own question asking people if they had it and I found that the question had already been posed on here. :slight_smile:

12. Cardshark

Hogwarts (Mentally) Springfield (Physically)
    Mine has R2-D2 and C3PO.

13. SkyColours38

Just about to change mine to one with David Tennant popping up in the middle, grinning wildly. :grin: