1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Medicare to review sex reassignment surgery coverage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by starfish, Mar 31, 2013.

1. starfish

Just ran across this.

CMS to Review Gender Change Surgery

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has started a 30 day comment period on the review. Hopefully they go through with the change.

2. redstormrising

looks like this is already off the table...

Sex Change Surgery Won't Be Covered By Medicare, U.S. Says : Policy/Biz : Medical Daily

3. nikom87

Well that's disappointing, although not surprising.

4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #4 Fugs, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  5. photoguy93

I see that, too. It's Medicare - how many older people are getting this surgery? (Seriously....I'm not being smart.)

6. nikom87

It is debatable whether that kind of surgery is "elective" for many people, but the insurance system certainly sees it that way, especially private insurance which solely wants to make money and deny any claims possible. Same with pharmaceutical companies.

Many people don't start transitioning until they are older, and Medicare also covers people under 65 who have disabilities.

7. J Snow

8. RainbowMan

As I've said before, there are private companies that will cover this, my health insurance being among them (my guess is it's larger companies that are self-insured - i.e. the cost of any care comes direct from the company and not an insurer as such)

I just wish I could give that benefit to someone who needs it, since I don't. But sadly that's not how things work.....

9. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And they'll do it becuase...
    Oh they won't do it. Because as Fugs said supposdly it's equal to breast implants. Yet you need therapy to get hormones to get surgery, to get reconized as the gender you are. Looks like a scam for money to me.

10. starfish

Well damn, sucks it is already off the table. I've known some folks this could help.

My health coverage at my previous job would have covered SRS. This is one thing that sucks about tying health insurance to employment. Everyone should have the same access to health care.

11. RainbowMan

Yeah, not to derail the thread entirely but I agree - I so happen to have WONDERFUL health insurance where I work, and then some of my friends have NO health insurance because they work at service industry jobs or are independent contractors.

Everyone should have access to the same level of healthcare that I do, but that's not going to happen in this country anytime soon.

I can start another thread in Chit Chat ranting about the healthcare system sometime :grin: