1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Equality in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by OhBoy4991, Apr 4, 2013.

1. OhBoy4991

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone!
    I'm 18, about to turn 19, and I'm a gay male. I also live in Ohio, a state where gay marriage is prohibited by a constitutional amendment from 2004 that says marriage is between one man and one woman only.
    Recently, one of our U.S. senators (a Republican) came out in support of gay marriage because of his son. I was very proud to call him my senator, and I will likely be voting for him next time he runs.
    Anyways, there has been talk of an issue on the ballot this coming November to overturn the 2004 amendment, and allow gay marriage in Ohio. Have any of you heard anything about it? Do you think it will show up on the ballot in my state?

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not heard of it, but I could picture some trying to make it a bill making it a law instead of an ammendment, so it still couldn't happen here. The weird thing is, if I were to come out, with the current wording in that ammendment, it could be argued that I can't marry anyone. Though the people who would likely make such an argument probably don't recognize nonbinary gender....

3. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats on having Sen. Portman as your Senator, he is an example of leadership for our nation, and I wish we had more of him around.

I honestly believe that it will come up for some sort of legislative action in Ohio, although I don't think it will be too soon unless Sen. Portman or others start really pushing it. I really hope that we will figure this out at the federal level before more states have to have trench wars like we had in NY over it.

4. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I heard something about it, acording to a survey 52% of ohioans support overturning it so theres hope but every vote counts. Who knew the first election I'll participate in would have such an important issue on it.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello fellow Ohioian!
    I posted somewhere around here about the petition. I'm hoping that Ohio is actually moving in the right direction for a change...

6. Nightmaric

I don't know. I live in the most conservative district in Ohio, District 11 I believe, and over half of the people I talk to in my large high school are in favor of samesex marriage. Many of them identify as Republicans. I believe in 5-7 years Ohio will bein the bag. Maybe sooner.