1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay Joke Costs Gay Reporter His Job

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Apr 6, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

This is why you don't put jokes on things that may be published...

2. AKTodd

Ouch. When I was in college, one of my friends was the almost stereotypical nerd. He was 16 when he started college, took up to 30 credit hours a semester,weighed maybe 100lbs soaking wet and was just scary smart.

One day he was writing a paper for some class and stopped to take a shower or something. While he was out his roommate or one of his friends decided to 'improve' his paper with some references to Smurfs and Gargamel (if you don't know what this is, it was a cartoon that ran in the late 80s). Since the paper was on his computer, they put in the additions in a part he'd already completed and then scrolled the screen back to where he was. The idea was that he'd catch them when he proofread the paper, everyone would have a good laugh and that would be that.

What no one apparently knew was that his proofing method was to proofread each screen of text as he finished it and then not look at it again. So he turned the paper in as is.

I was in the room when he found out what they'd done and I swear he was within seconds of trying to literally beat the crap out of them (and they each and every one probably outweighed him by 50lbs at least). I think even they felt a bit intimidated by the sheer rage he was putting out as well as feeling terrible about the joke going that far.

He was able to get the professor to let him turn in a revised copy of the paper, although not without getting some grief from him. I can't help but think the professor probably laughed himself silly in private though.

The moral of the story kids, is that you should always lock your computer when you're not in front of it.

Todd:slight_smile:

3. Its okay buddy
    You can still find work writing comedy material for politically incorrect.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a journalist, honestly kind of disappointed as more gay reporters are always good...but I guess it happens. I mean we've played jokes on teleprompter ourselves but only ever during rehearsal. Soon as it happens we change it back and never change it again. But I don't know, he was honestly quite foolish.

5. Eric

[youtube]_HNJ93HCxUA[/youtube]

I dare you. :grin:

Anyway, unprofessional though it may be, I don't really think it's anything worth losing your job over. I'm really more offended that a journalist would have such a lowbrow sense of humour.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do this all the time! We never do this to our web stories though. Mostly because we had something like this happen... (except somebody put a bad joke about our university president.)

It does suck that he got fired, but if the news station did not do anything there would've been an outcry too.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol I would NEVER :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Mrcake

Wow.. yeah, never put stuff on the prompter, as it will go through the closed captioning! I'm guessing that is what happened to this person. Well, gay jokes are not okay, especially to other gay people. Like when people say, "oh that's gay" I'm like dude don't say that -- that isn't okay.