1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ireland to hold gay marriage referendum

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I am so excited, my home country (UK) will have gay marriage soon, and looks like my new home will be following as well.

This looks promising, the latest opinion polls are showing a majority support for it as well.

Ireland to hold gay marriage referendum | World news | guardian.co.uk

2. Harve

I'm so surprised it's happening so soon over there, and such a large majority are in favour of it.

Let's hope Scotland and Northern Ireland hurry up.

3. Beware Of You

Sadly Northern Ireland is backwards compared to the rest of the UK and Ireland.

There is a legal challenge to the Unionist policy of no gay marriage. There is alot of debate that if they want to be in the UK they have to subscribe to UK policies, and gay marriage is a popular policy.

4. Zodavva

I was glad to hear about it too - I have Irish background although born and living in the UK - I saw a TV debate when I was over there and although there were the usual people talking about the value of their own marriages being damaged by gay marriage being allowed, the overall view seemed positive! Surprising for a country which I would have thought would be a long way behind, with the Catholic church being so dominant. Even so, perhaps the child sex abuse scandal has really damaged the church's standing in the country.

5. Beware Of You

I believe Catholicism is in a steep decline in Ireland, especially with the under 30s. You are correct with the sex abuse scandal being patly responsible, but its also to do with the Vatican being out of touch with everyone.

From my experience, Dublin seems to be a far more gay friendly place that Southern Scotland, me and my guy hold hands in public, we get called "cute" by alot of people and to be honest all of my friends over here are great with me being gay.

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Excelent news, though ideally it should just be legalised regardless of any popular vote.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NUUUUU! >< I mean, I've looked this up before, but I got a bit excited when I saw this thread.

8. JPC

JPC Guest

I have absolutely no doubt that it'll be voted through. There's such a huge amount of support for it. Apparently we won't get to vote on it until late next year though, so it probably won't be legal until some time in 2015, but considering it was only decriminalised 20 years ago, it's a pretty huge transformation.

9. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even though I am an Irish Citizen & I hold a Irish Passport, I can't vote because I am based in the UK :frowning2: