1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Does anybody else find this upsetting?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by iwannabemyself, Apr 16, 2013.

1. iwannabemyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you go on facebook, all you see is people BEGGING for likes using the Boston Marathon bombing. I sickens me that people are heartless. There are even meme that are making fun of it already! Does this piss anyone else off? :tantrum:

2. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    It's sad.

I don't take part of the 'liking' statuses. Just because someone has a like on Facebook doesn't make them any better or popular than they already are. I don't tell them that because it's not my life, and I couldn't care less about what they do.

3. GhostOfRazgriz

Some people will do anything for attention, or the illusion of having influence. People have used much more horrible means to get people to follow them, ever since the beginning of recorded history, and probably even further back. Fortunately, however, these people make up a small fraction of a percent of the population. Some are people who commit atrocities like this bombing, others are people who will attempt to prosper from it, whether wealth-wise, or socially.

However, I feel bad for most of the people who do these things on Facebook. They weren't born with the desire to try and get likes from a bombing, or to generate a meme from one. Society made them that way, just like society perpetuates racism and homophobia. For every 100 people doing this stuff, probably only one or two are actually twisted people trying to get sick kicks. And yes, I am pissed off at those people. :bang:

Of course, then there's the media, whose presence, in my opinion is unforgivable. They're vultures, and in situations like this, they'll be piling questions on the police. Now the police have to waste their time answering questions while these criminals trails will get colder and colder, all so that the press can have a nice, juicy cover story that they can make money off of. I'm not saying all journalists are bad, most are probably decent people devoted to getting information to the public. However, some take it too far.

4. iwannabemyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i feel sad for those people.

5. sexyalex

Its sad. But shit like this don't surprise me anymore. The world is going to the dogs, at anytime, North Korea could bomb the US and when the US is gone, the rest of the world will turn into zombies from the toxic gas and radiation of the nuke. Counter-effect and all.

I just want it to happen so we can rebuild this world from scratch and call it a day. If Japan can do it, everyone can.

6. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nothing makes me angrier, honestly.

7. Jameson

What? Just.... whaaa?

8. Ticklish Fish

like exactly what kind of status are you talking about?
    the ones like "RIP boston people" or like "my heart goes out to the thing"?

9. estrella

Has anyone else noticed the size of the US military in comparison to North Korea's? On top of that, the most they could hit--if it were all played out 100% accurately--would be Alaska. That's pretty devastating, but I'm pretty sure we've nothing to worry about if they should attack. ...I also heard it was a publicity stunt, but I don't think Fort Bragg would be so active just to play along. *shrug*

Back on topic. I don't think it should surprise me either. But to each their own on that one. :/

10. PinkFluff

SOmeone i know posted

"i hope everyone at boston is okay."

yeah, im sure all those people are A OKAY.

11. Nyanko

While it's pretty unrealistic to think everything is peachy keen over there, it's also a generous and selfless thought that someone made, rather than something stupid like a metaphor for a breakup: "You broke my heart, but you failed to blah blah blah blah..." I'd rather read a million statuses about Boston than a million about a breakup.

If they're not saying something stupid like "LMS for Boston" then I'm fine with people actually caring about what's happened. I don't tolerate crap like the memes making fun of it, that's completely disrespectful to those people actually in the pictures and I have no respect for the people that make them.

12. People will try to get likes over everything, no matter what it is. Somebody dies, there is somebody pretending to be extremely upset by putting a huge status on. Every single thing put on that damned website is fake. I hate Facebook because it just shows how "amazing" bad people are.

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Yeah it's pitiful but things like this get taken advantage of when people draw attention from the original focus of sympathy for the suffering victims onto themselves instead. I've already seen a few offensive statuses about it as well as some predictably tasteless uninspired and in no way funny memes. (granted memes usually are all those things anyways) Personally I ignore it and encourage others to do the same since people mainly do this to get noticed and I won't help contribute to that.

14. Hexagon

The only people I'd be worried about if North Korea were to bomb the US would be the North Koreans. They can't reach the US, and if they could, the US would simply shoot the missile down. But then all hell would come to the innocent, brainwashed citizens of that country.

Back on topic, its rather pathetic, but I won't do anything about it. Social problems online will resolve themselves like social problems in the rest of the world. They aren't hurting anybody, so I see fit to ignore them.