1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Texas Fertilizer Plant Explodes - Many Dead

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tim, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim

Texas fertilizer plant blast injures dozens

No official number of victims yet, but many news sites have said at least 100 are dead. (EDIT: Some are reporting those are just injuries. I really wish newssites wouldn't post stuff until confirmed. Most are saying authorities have confirmed 60-100 dead, with hundreds injured.)

Video of the Explosion by a bystander: (Lower your volume)

[youtube]ROrpKx3aIjA[/youtube]

Explosion is around :28 into the video.

#1 Tim, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. theMaverick

This is so sad. I hope they are wrong and not as many people are dead, but apparently it leveled a good portion of the town :-/

3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is not an exaggeration, the area for a 5 block radius was leveled and there are fires.

Many of the victims will have to be transported to other, larger, communities because West is too small to handle them all.

I think that there might also be a 3rd tank of the explosive chemical. A propane tank and a chemical tank caused the explosion.

4. Convoy

A lot of 'homemade' explosives (and even professional ones) have been made of refined versions of the compounds that they have in near raw form there. I've seen test demos of that stuff and it's downright devastating.

I'm not saying that it's going to be bad, but the outlook isn't good.. :icon_sad:

Hopefully they saved as many people as they could have.

I doubt any motives behind it, but there is always a chance. Factory fires, explosions and stuff goes on all the time though and with high death tolls in several cases.

Man this week just goes on and on :frowning2:.

5. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyone who remembers the Oklahoma city bombing, that was only about 3 half-full drums of this stuff. those tanks hold a LOT more than that, and there are several at any good sized factory. There is a good possibility that this was the result of equipment malfunctioning. I hope that the death toll doesn't rise to far above the 70 or so that they have reported.

In a side note,
    I plan to work as a chemical engineer after college, many of them work in factories like that.

#5 Byron, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  6. Cthulhu

This really hasn't been a good week.

7. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, yep. There is still at least one more unexploded tank at that plant, which is still on fire.

8. Ticklish Fish

you better make sure the factories is built safe.. and in case bad things happen, don't casue damage to civilians

don't forget, there's INTERNATIONAL news that you can frown at every single day..
    it's just home front news get reported more

9. Tim

Tim

They can't really do anything.

When the factory is full of the raw materials that bombs can be made of, like a fertilizer plant, if one of the containers has a mechanical failure and catches on fire and explodes, all of them are bound to.

10. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep,
    Engineers can only design equipment to be very very very safe, they can't design equipment that doesn't break down and malfunction. Entropy sucks.

11. theMaverick

I just turned on the news, and I've seen the video of the explosion, and my heart is absolutely broken right now.

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2013 at 12:33 AM ----------

+1

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And... That's 2 explosions in the US this week.. (I'm not saying they are related, I'm just saying that the US has had a bad week...)

This is really sad... I hope that they got as many people out of there as they could. (I also hope that they evacuate the nursing home that is nearby. I mean, the air quality sucks and some of those people already have problems breathing.

Also, to put in perspective how large this explosion was, it registered as a 2.1 earthquake.

13. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

This is so horrible :frowning2:

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, haven't sat and listened to the news yet, but please tell me this was at least an accident and not another pre-planned, malicious attack? :eusa_doh:

Ugh.

15. theMaverick

Based on what I've seen and heard on the tv and online, there is no inclination that this was a terrorist attack.

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2013 at 01:30 AM ----------

This is especially frightening to me because I know EXACTLY where this town is at and I've driven through there countless times and I live within an hour of it.

16. Aldrick

Here is the same video, but someone has slowed it down. It really helps give a better perspective of how huge this explosion was...

[YOUTUBE]M3iL2EhVsTs[/YOUTUBE]

It also sounds like the girl suffered from a perforated eardrum. Sadly, that's not uncommon when you're near explosions. I heard some of the doctors in Boston say some of the people there suffered the same as well.

#16 Aldrick, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  17. PinkFluff

It just seems like to big a coincidence. A FERTILISER plant NEAR CIVILIAN BUILDINGS not only catches fire but EXPLODES not a week after THE BOSTON BOMBINGS.

I wouldn't be surprised if its a nationwide bombing campaign beginning.

18. Hexagon

Fucking hell. I thought the fire was the end of the explosion, and FUCK.

I hope this was really an accident. While of course it doesn't change the fact that there are so many dead, it will be much, much worse if this was not an accident, perhaps connected to boston.

19. Tim

Tim

According to most news sites, it was caused by the firefighters trying to douse the flames with water... which reacted with the chemicals.

20. PinkFluff

I am fairly sure water, when mixed with Nitric Acid and Ammonia, does not equal explosion. But then again, I'm only doing NCEA level 1 science, so what would I know?