1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News France Legalizes Gay Marriage (!) After Harsh Debate, Violent Protests

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by paperyostrich, Apr 23, 2013.

1. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gay Marriage Legal in France!!!

The French parliament has approved a bill legalising same-sex marriage and adoption, following a divisive public debate.

France becomes the 14th country to pass a law allowing gay marriage, and follows New Zealand last week.

Opponents of the move have staged some of the biggest protests seen in France in years, though polls suggest a small majority in favour of gay marriage.

Demonstrations are expected from both supporters and opponents of the bill.

Police reinforcements have been brought in and security stepped up. Although previous rallies have been overwhelmingly peaceful, some clashes on the fringes have been blamed on far-right elements.

President Francois Hollande has made the law his flagship social reform.

He is expected to add his signature to the bill once it has cleared any challenge in the constitutional council.

Opponents of gay marriage hope the council will block the bill - but analysts say that is unlikely.

Supporters say gay people will only have equal rights when they are allowed to marry.

They also say the campaign of opposition has encouraged an increase in violent attacks on gay people.

There have been some high-profile attacks in recent weeks, and on Monday gunpowder was posted to the speaker of the lower house, demanding he stop the vote.

The violence and threats have been condemned by both sides.

Some argue this is the most important social reform in France since the death penalty was banned in 1981, says the BBC's Christian Fraser in Paris.

France becomes the ninth country in Europe to allow same-sex marriage. It has already been legalised not just in the traditionally liberal Netherlands and Scandinavia, but also in strongly Catholic Portugal and Spain. Legislation is also moving through the UK Parliament.

But the measure has aroused stronger than expected opposition in France - a country where the Catholic Church was thought to have lost much of its influence over the public.

In January, a protest in Paris against the bill attracted some 340,000 people according to police - one of the biggest public demonstrations in France in decades. Organisers put the figure at 800,000.

Since then both sides have held regular street protests.

The opponents, backed by the Catholic Church and conservative opposition, say France already has civil partnerships for homosexual couples, and extending rights to marriage undermines an essential building block of society.

Opinion polls suggest about 55-60% of the public support same-sex marriage.

However, support for adoption by same-sex couples, which is also provided for in the bill, is only at about 50%.

Opponents have marched under banners declaring a child's right to a mother and father.

At a last-ditch demonstration on Sunday, Camille, 32, told AFP news agency as she fed her baby of four months: "We are here for the rights of the children... We take it as a slur when we are called homophobes or fascists."

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    France Legalizes Gay Marriage After Harsh Debate, Violent Protests

WOOT

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2013 at 11:45 AM ----------

Someone may need to merge this with the other thread coincidentally posted at the same time.

3. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Woah, just saw that haha. What a coincidence haha

4. Dalmatian

I was in Paris last year at the time of one of the pro-LGBT protests. I don't think I will ever forget the moment when I stood in the middle of a river of people while thousands of voices synchronized on "Égalité, égalité" :slight_smile:

So, great news! Europe is being swept with equality :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

5. Hefiel

Congrats to France, the world is making progress! Next will probably be Ireland.

6. Harve

And Germany won't be too long! That would put 80% of Western Europe under gay marriage, with the rest of it recognising civil partnerships. Only Italy let the side down by not recognising same-sex marriage at all.

7. Hefiel

Well, the fact that the Vatican is in Italy probably doesn't help very much. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As far as I know, throughout the late 80s and the 1990s the government sucsessivly tried to introduce same sex partnership (not marriage) bills, but everytime the Catholic church struck it down.

Also, Malta dosen't recognise same sex relationships, but it depends if you see it as being in western Europe or not. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Hexagon

10. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fantastic news, that's 3 countries so far this year ( including my own) and we are not even halfway through the year. Still a very long way to go for GLBTTI rights around the world but this sends a strong message out to the world.

11. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Who knew Spain would be more progressive and gay friendly than France? wow! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it passed, and congrats to the French LGBT people. But all these protests etc.. I'm just surprised so many are against it.

12. Ridiculous

This is great! I hope the protestors move off quietly and don't cause any trouble now though.

13. (!!) Fantastic, one country closer to Marriage equality!

14. Cthulhu

Congrats France! 2013 is really turning into a terrific year for the LGBT community! :grin:

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Most seem to actually be against gay adoption/child raising, at least according to the polls.

16. LailaForbidden

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

So happy right now. The world is moving forward :slight_smile:

17. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Yay!!!! For France

18. hkboy93

I'm hoping a big country in east Asia will legalize it soon. I'm guessing Taiwan will be first.

19. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just hoping now that it gets through the constitutional council unscathed now. Especially with a bill this 'controversial'. I say this as they have struck down seemingly passed laws in the past, and the opposition are keen for a strike or a repeal of the law. I'm still a bit cautious, but positive France will do the right thing

20. IrishEyes1989

Congratulations to France and GO PRESIDENT HOLLANDE!! Stickin' it to the man! :grin: It's so strange though, I always thought the French were so relaxed about social issues and were the "live and let live" types by and large. Apparently not. Though, as with the 13 other countries that have passed same-sex marriage legislation at this point, I am confident love will win out in the end.