1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Nevada Senator Comes Out As Senate Approves Repeal Of Same-Sex Marriage Ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by paperyostrich, Apr 23, 2013.

1. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Monday night, the Nevada Senate voted 12-9 to repeal the state’s constitutional amendment banning the recognition of same-sex couples’ marriages. That language would be replaced to recognize all marriages between two people, “regardless of gender.” As BuzzFeed’s Chris Geidner points out, the Senate is the first legislative chamber in the country to affirm the overturn of a marriage amendment.

The debate lasted over an hour, during which one Senator came out for the first time. Sen. Kelvin Atkinson (D) announced, “I’m black. I’m gay… I know this is the first time many of you have heard me say that I am a black, gay male.” Atkinson pointed out that his father’s interracial marriage would have similarly been banned decades ago, suggesting to detractors, “If this hurts your marriage, then your marriage was in trouble in the first place.”

Despite this victory, the bill has a long road ahead. Not only does it still have to pass the state Assembly, but both chambers will have to pass it again during the next session in 2015. Following that, it must pass a referendum, which would likely take place in 2016.

Looks like the trend is reversing on marriage bans. Intresting to see how this shall turn out.

2. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Good, progress in Nevada.

Atkinson's coming out was funny though, since, just reading it, it seemed like he was coming out as black at the same time.

3. Emberstone

watch out, or the witchbitch will rise from her festering, fecal clogged toilet, and call upon the white christian solders to use their 2nd ammendment remedies in responce.