1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News fourth grader and science quiz

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ticklish Fish, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...04376056.98921.367116489976035&type=1&theater

*facepalm*

for those people who don't have facebook.
    this is from the page "I fucking love science"

the picture is in the snoops

i can't load second page :frowning2:

#1 Ticklish Fish, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow...I'm not very smart. I would have completely failed that test. I guess I'm just not as smart as a 4th grader!:lol:

Seriously...I don't think I'd like seeing that schools sex ed test on the "Gay Unit" (oh, dear, gay unit sounds just a little dirty, doesn't it?)

3. eatsleepclimb

WOW. That isn't even funny. That's just terrible.

4. The username

I have no words.

5. Hefiel

Hey, would you look at that! Why am I not even surprised?

I'm also hoping that you are guys are aware that there is a Museum in the US dedicated to teaching that Jesus lived with Dinosaurs, right? It's called the "Creation Museum" and is located in Kentucky I believe.

6. Aldrick

After reading Snopes it becomes clear that this was at a private religious school, not a public school. Not that it makes it any better, but it does make more sense.

The parent is apparently upset that his daughter was taught this crap, but frankly I don't have much sympathy for him. What did he expect? They're religious schools for a reason. By definition they are not dealing with fact based reality, because if they were then they'd have to admit that science has failed to turn up any evidence for a deity as defined by the Bible. This is one of the reasons they hate science so passionately, because it often conflicts with what the Bible says on matters.

The entire test is based in the nonsense belief that the earth is roughly 6,000 years old, whereas science clearly tells us that it's billions of years old. This has been a long standing feud between religion and science. I was taught two competing religious theories as a kid (though thankfully not by the school).

The first was that the dinosaurs didn't actually exist, but instead the Devil buried the bones to trick people, in order to get them to start doubting the Bible, and thus begin leading them away from Christ.

The second attempted to cloak the nonsense more in "science" (which seems to be the version this girl was taught). In this account God created the dinosaurs with the rest of the animals. Juvenile dinosaurs were led onto the ark by Noah, and then died as a result of the ice age that followed the flood. This is usually followed up by discussing how silly it would be for the dinosaurs to have existed for millions of years. "Just imagine it. Every time you'd go outside and dig a hole you'd find dinosaur bones!"

Unfortunately, when you're young, don't know any better, and you're being instructed by people you're taught to believe and trust this sort of nonsense is easily swallowed. At least it was for me as a kid. Unfortunately, many members of my family (both immediate and extended) still believe this nonsense, and there really isn't anything that can be said to convince them otherwise.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, a proportionately-long ice "age" in a 6000 year old earth would probably last around a week. I feel so bad for that kid, struggling against the worst kind of indoctrination this side of Islamic fanaticism.

8. FunyunsNCoffee

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ah yes. The Creation Museum. I was living in Cincinnati at the time it opened. It's actually not that far from the city. But still. . .

9. Jonathan

At that point, I don't think you could even consider it science anymore.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just saw this....

I actually feel nauseous, and I don't know what's worse: The quiz itself or the date at the top.

11. Beware Of You

I feel sorry for these kids, they are not getting an education just nonsense. Even the vast vast majority of Christians in the UK are not young earth creationists so this would never be allowed over here.

Also correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Behemoth meant to battle Satan in the End Times so how would a diplodocus have any chance of doing this? (Also an obvious dinosaur, a rhino or a elephant wow)

Anyway there is only one appropriate reaction I have for this "quiz"

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`

12. lexi

lexi Guest

I visited my aunts church, and while helping in the Sunday school room I had to sing a song about how that planet was not billions of years old, that I didn't believe in aliens, etc, etc....

I hope everyone knows that not ALL Christians are close-minded idiots -_-

13. Hexagon

Thankfully, my faith in humanity was already dead, so no more of it was lost today.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How appropriate that the sticker on the top right hand corner of the test resembles one of those classic 'troll face' memes.

15. Calico

What disgusts me most is that the last question on this test is "if someone tells you that the earth is millions on years old, what do you say?" To which the girl 'correctly' answered "were you there". To me, this proves that the school is trying to teach students to follow the Bible, instead of teaching them how to think for themselves. Which isn't all that surprising, considering narrow minded some Christians can be, but that doesn't make it any less atrocious.

16. Jonathan

To which I would kindly respond "Were you? ...Oh, you weren't either. Well, do you have scientific evidence that supports your view? ...Oh, all you have some book that makes wild claims. Well, then why do you think it was true? ...Oh, you were told it was the word of God by your teacher. Was he/she there when it was written? ...Oh, he/she wasn't. So your argument against my view (which has loads of scientific evidence) is that I was not personally there, yet at the same time providing the only support for your view as being a book who's importance cannot be verified because you (and no one else) were not personally there...

#16 Jonathan, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Snopes isn't clear whether it's real or not. It does seem pitched rather high for a fourth-grade science class, though.

Lex

18. Ticklish Fish

the parents dont want to disclose the school's name until the kid is out of school lol

19. Fiddledeedee

Sleepy Fiddle can't work it out: does "pitched rather high" mean very advanced for 4th grade or very behind for 4th grade?

20. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Knowing me, I probably would have shown the test to my mother and watch her go Carolina crazy all over the school board. I basically got kicked out of the boy scouts in the 3rd grade because our family wasn't religious, and I was quite a clever little devil back then if I do say so my self.

My sister lives in that town too....but my nieces and nephew go to public school, thank goodness.