1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Dhaka Factory Collapse and protests

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Harve, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Harve

I'm not normally one to go all moralistic but when the two of the most popular topics on this sub-forum are about Boston conspiracy theories and something to do with Justin Bieber and drugs and yet something that has killed 270+ people has had zero coverage, then something is seriously WRONG. Anyway:

BBC News - Dhaka building collapse: Fears for hundreds still missing

So even if you know no-one from Bangladesh and have never been there, etc., this is going to be relevant to you as there's a fairly large chance you've bought clothes that were made in its factories. Do you ever think about that? I know I don't.

Bangladesh has a rapidly developing economy but clearly it can have adverse consequences when it's left fully to market forces, and despite its size, its own government can still be dominated by large, overseas companies.

2. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen this on the news, and I personally think it's terrible. Poor people who have lost someone in that tragic accident. Saying that though, it hardly made the headlines, but Justin Beiber's drug scandal and the fact Obama dosen't want his daughters to get tatoos were all over the place. It seems today the majority of the media don't care about REAL NEWS; More Who's marrying who and sleeping with whoever else. Sad.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This sort of thing really bothers me... I buy a lot of what I buy used, just because I'm disturbed by all the 3rd world working conditions. I've recently bought towels, and they've been selected one-by-one from thrift shops. Target has a choice that would be better for my current needs, but after I get done cringing at the price, I really cringe and shudder at the thought of the conditions that towel might have been under.

4. Ticklish Fish

read some parts of the article...

you mean billion dollars company move their companies to third world countries to save profit and at the same time are shitty with building standards?

that's shitty, man.

-500 faith in humanity

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, Ticklish Fish, that seems to be the modern way of doing things.

Disgusting, isn't it?