1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Less financial aid for children of gay couples

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fiddledeedee, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Fiddledeedee

... than before. You were thinking that would be "less than children of straight couples", right? Gotcha. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

More.

What was happening before was that children of gay couples were counted as having a single parent, thus receiving more aid, although they actually had two parents living together. Now, there will be proper equality so unmarried gay couples will be treated like unmarried straight couples, and will be counted as two parents in the family unit. This will result in less aid for some applicants, but that's a good thing here.

2. Aldrick

Actually, this is a horrible thing because of DOMA.

Basically, we're now in a situation where if you're gay and married, the federal government has decided when and when not to recognize your relationship. So, in effect you're not married for any potential legal or tax benefits that could come from it, but now the government is willing to recognize your relationship in a way that ensures that your children receive less financial aid.

Basically, we're screwed on both ends. If DOMA were repealed, then it would be a different story - it would be fair. As it stands, so long as DOMA is in effect this policy sucks. They even had to thread the needle to get around DOMA with the whole 'living together but not married' thing.

Frankly, I'd suggest to anyone filling out the forms to do some homework and determine how much financial aid their kids would receive by claiming both parents. If they receive less, then I'd only have them claim one parent, and if someone gets caught red handed I'd claim confusion due to DOMA restrictions. 'I'm not sure what to put on forms. DOMA complicates things unnecessarily for same sex couples! My state recognizes my marriage, why doesn't the Federal government? How do I know what box to check, when I can't even file joint taxes!?'

3. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    your comment about the state recognizes your marriage but the goverment doesnt, it makes me mad be because the goverment keeps saying let the states vote on if they want same sex marriage , but then when the states say yes its legal the goverment doesnt recognize it, just another reason same sex marriage needs to come from the federal level and not the states.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I can say is "-_-"

5. Tim

Tim

...This isn't a bad thing.

I mean, sure, it's a bad thing for the students, but it's a step towards more equality.

I understand why people might think it's a bad thing, but honestly, baby steps towards equality = better than nothing. It may be bad now, but it's a step.

6. jdeb1992

It is equality. I get less money since my parents are married. I have to file them and I moved out of theor house....

7. photoguy93

This is a "gay people need to be married so they can be miserable like us" moment. My parents have to count their income. If your parents are living together, then they should have to combine Their income. I do not believe in special favors.