1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Same-sex marriage: Church of England denies blessings

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, May 4, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Church of England has ruled out providing public blessings to same-sex marriages in a new report.

The move follows the outgoing Bishop of Liverpool Right Reverend James Jones's questioning of whether the Church should maintain its stance.

The Bishop of Coventry Dr Christopher Cocksworth, one report author, said "public forms of blessing belong to marriage alone".

The Church did acknowledge the need for flexibility in dealing with the issue.

The report from the Faith and Order Commission, a body formed of bishops, clergy and laity which advises the church on matters of doctrine, reiterated its definition of marriage as: "A faithful, committed, permanent and legally sanctioned relationship between a man and a woman."

Deficit of love
    It follows an address from the Right Reverend James Jones, outgoing bishop of Liverpool, to the Diocese of Liverpool Synod in March.

He said: "If the Church now recognises civil partnerships to be a just response to the needs of gay people then surely the Church now has to ask the question whether or not it can deny the blessing of God to that which is just.

"There is such a deficit of love in the world today that it seems to me that the Church should bless true love wherever such love is to be found, believing what the Bible says that 'where there is love there is God'."

The report allows that "a degree of flexibility" and "pastoral wisdom" is required.

But it says a successful marriage generally, and particularly the ideal raising of children, are reliant upon "the complementary gifts of men and women".

It argues that "biological differences do not simply cease to matter at the level of personal relationship" and challenges the government's move to legalise same-sex marriage.

"When marriage is spoken of unclearly or misleadingly, it distorts the way couples try to conduct their relationship and makes for frustration and disappointment.

"The reality of marriage between one man and one woman will not disappear as the result of any legislative change," it says.

Same-sex marriage is not yet legal in the UK, but Prime Minister David Cameron has publicly backed it and the issue has been debated in the House of Commons.

The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill 2012-13 was backed by a majority of 225 MPs following a free vote.

The Archbishop of Canterbury the Most Reverend Justin Welby, who has in the past praised the quality of same-sex relationships, sees the Church's response to the issue as a challenge.

Robert Pigott
    Religious affairs correspondent, BBC News

The statement reinforces the Church's view of heterosexual marriage as the God-given model for sexual relationships, but insists that it wants to care for gay couples too.

It says this pastoral care requires "well-designed accommodations" - and that through such a "flexible" approach clergy could build on the good elements of gay couples' relationships - and the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby has said that they are often of "stunning" quality - to bring them closer to the Church's own model of marriage.

But the devil is, as they say, in the detail - how far could traditional teaching be adapted to achieve the goal of truly caring for gay couples?

The document says clergy should "witness" to "the norm" of heterosexual marriage, but it is sufficiently vague about how far traditional teaching can reasonably be made to "accommodate" gay people that it raises at least as many questions as it answers.

BBC News - Same-sex marriage: Church of England denies blessings

2. silkfrog1292

It's rather disheartening, but I sort of expected this.

3. CatofOld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can see their point, they are a religion, they have customs that are very old and have a limit to how flexible they can be. When you start to define everything as "okay" within your religion then you end up not having much of a religion left. I am assuming the pastoral care for LGTB couples will be to avoid the topic.

4. Emberstone

well, given that technically the bible is distinctly anti-church, I don't think it matters all that much.

5. Beware Of You

Urgh they are once again looking more out of touch with the uk public

6. Incognito10

Maybe I am just stereotyping based on things I've read online, but I have always thought the church does not really have a significant presence in modern day UK as most of the younger generations do not attend a church or adhere to religion as much. It seems like the same is happening in the US--it seems with each generation, statistics show less and less adherence to a religion (or at least dogma) and more of an emphasis on humanitarian interests, ethics, science, reason and rationality.

7. steelygreye

I'd say that a lot of people are embracing faith, but denying religion. Most of the younger Christians I know, even the ones in their 40s, will say that church is not necessary to be a Christian. I'd like to see a world where people are less dependent on the church, and maybe practiced their faith at home.

You know, when I become an adult, if I have children, I'll probably teach them about the Bible at home and encourage them to have their own thoughts about it. And, if I marry someone of a different religion, I'll help teach them about that religion as well. But the most important thing, as Incognito said, is that they learn ethics (to me, at least).

That said, the Church of England really is alienating people by excluding same-sex couples. -_-

8. FruitFly

I feel like one of the few who couldn't care less if a certain denomination has decided against blessing same-sex marriages. There are plenty of Christian denominations who will, and providing the extent of their discrimination is simply that a blessing will not be given to the union as it contravenes their interpretation of scripture then my thoughts are "oh, OK, I'll join a denomination whose beliefs align more closely with my own". The church has long been out of touch with the majority of the UK public, but then it has been a while since the majority of the UK public were actively involved with the Church of England as believers. If it were to fully embrace same-sex marriage it would alienate quite a few of their more active members, and another shift to Catholic churches would be seen as those with less-progressive views find refuge in a different denomination. Whatever they do people will be alienated, it just depends on who and whether the church can afford the gamble.

That and I view this as a transitional stage for the Church of England. Change does not happen overnight, and if it is going to happen it is going to take a while longer for same-sex marriage to be fully embraced by the Church of England as a whole.

#8 FruitFly, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  9. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They have a right to practice their religion as they so choose as long as they do not have a say in the recognition of gay marriage by the state. If you don't like it, find a new church.

One of the things I love about the United States is that we have a distinct separation of church and state, that is not to say that religious beliefs do not sway our legislature, but that no religion has a direct input in our legislature.

10. Emberstone

we have that in theory, but thanks to the corrupted republican party, which is corrupted by the fundementist religious right wing (or what jesus called 'Charletians and False Prophets), seperate of church and state doesnt prevent our legislative bodies from forcing through fake-christian ideologies into law.

11. sillyolme

What I'm confused about though, is that this is technically a form of discrimination and is therefore illegal. If you allow a hetero couple to get married in your church, it is then illegal to turn down a same-sex marriage, surely? Its like those cases of homophobia with the B&B's. That was illegal, why isn't this?

12. Fiddledeedee

Legally they aren't allowed to marry them although other churches will be, which is another reason we need separation of church and state and to disestablish the CofE -- here, the state is interfering with religion as a way of pacifying those who say allowing gay marriage will infringe upon religious freedom. For the church to internally deny blessings to already-married couples on top of this is awful, though at some point, in the near or far future, I expect the decision to be reversed.

And with members of their own church, who are, as far as I recall, mostly in favour of same-sex marriage. I would not be surprised if some individual vicars etc. try to get around not being allowed to bless same-sex couples.

Correct, at least based on things I have also read online. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The UK is getting less Christian; although a slight majority still identify as Christian, a third of these people never pray, a third (possibly overlapping) don't think prayer works, a bunch only identify as Christian culturally/because their parents are religious, and many think they are still Christian just because they have been baptised or christened although they don't follow the religion.

FYI, the Lords Spiritual are 26 non-elected CofE bishops in the House of Lords who influence the state and its recognition of gay marriage.

I wish that we had official separation of church and state like you; it's a good legal model, even if not adhered to.

A) When it comes to the internal squabbles of the CofE and other churches, discrimination rules like that do not apply as in main society, though there may be ones protecting from racial discrimination. The CofE discriminates in not allowing women to become bishops, but that is not illegal. (They are going to allow celibate gay men soon, by the wayside.)

B) Discussing marriage rather than blessings...

"Because" is the best reason that there is, really. Religious institutions are legally obliged to marry any heterosexual couple within their catchment, even if the couple are not Christian, are interracial and the church objects to that, or if for any other reason the church does not want to marry them. However, when same-sex marriage is legalised they will not be obliged to marry same-sex couples if they have objections to them, which is clearly unfair.