1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News LGBTQAs denied admittance to Catholic Church service because they have"dirty hands"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by flymetothemoon, May 5, 2013.

1. flymetothemoon

As someone who grew up Catholic, despite the fact that I no longer identify as a Catholic, this just disgusts me:
    Gay Catholics in NYC barred from entry to mass, threatened with arrest | GLAAD

How on earth can you tell someone that they can not go to Mass? And what is this "drity hands" nonsense? Why is it that we have to wash hands to enter when others don't? Seriously disgusting, and I highly doubt that any higher power is happy to see this kind of behavior in their name.

2. Ticklish Fish

Re: LGBTQAs denied admittance to Catholic Church service because they have"dirty hand

O_O

stereotyping at its worst lol.

*insert catholic priest dirty mind rape joke here*

i do love that one facebook comment about not practicing catholic until all are welcomed to enter

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: LGBTQAs denied admittance to Catholic Church service because they have"dirty hand

Urgh.. This is what I hate about some Churches. They say that all are welcome. Then they start making a list of people that are not allowed to attend.

4. Ticklish Fish

would you rather a list of people who can't attend or they let you attend and talk about how abnormal or abominable or how wrong you are? lol

5. Emberstone

live based on your inherent sexual orientation... evil.

use your position as a spiritual authority to molest little boys... acceptable, cause they will just move you to a new place with new, unmolested boys, and do a church hierarchy wide coverup.

6. FranklinK

Religion is evil and must be destroyed

7. Reptillian

Well, that's just a rule with no real justification. Not to pet peeve here, but the rules doesn't apply to asexuals because of asexuality alone and there are asexuals who don't want to be branded as part of the community having problems. So, I suggest title changes unless you're refering to allies.

#7 Reptillian, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  8. kc1895

I am still not sure why people go to a church that condemns you for your actions and make donations that support the church in spreading those messages.

9. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Whoa there, slow down, partner.
    Religion is not inherently bad. I'm not religious but saying people's ways of life should be destroyed is really just as bad as saying gays should burn in hell.

10. Ridiculous

As far as I'm concerned, churches are just private clubs so they can discriminate against their members (just as a 'deaf club' could legally prevent non-deaf people joining, for example).
    Of course it is awful for the church to do this, but they are only pushing themselves closer to the abyss of oblivion and out of social relevance by doing so, which is a good thing. Why would queer people want to go there anyway knowing this is how they feel about us - banning LGBTQAetc. is merely symbolic because none in their right mind would want to visit in the first place.

Obvious exception of young closeted people that are being forced to go to such places by their parents.

No it isn't. I don't have to give any reasons why because they should all be obvious.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The concept of religion isn't bad, but they do give piles of evidence to support that humans are evil by nature. Besides, isn't the whole point of Catholicism that we're all sinners and seek forgiveness? Even if we LGBT-ers have no intention of renouncing our orientations, they should at least see us as equals instead of some lower class of humans.

12. Hiems

Agreed. This is why I like Unitarian Universalism, as they openly welcome LGBT people. I haven't attended UU services but have done some research for my world religions class. I would even consider going one day to see how it's like.

13. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I guess as an atheist I don't really get the whole religion thing, but if someone has a need to have a religion there are so many out there to choose from... why would you even want to be a member of a religion which doesn't want you and which tells you that you are bad/evil/dirty/sick etc? if the catholic religion doesn't want you just pick another religion that does.

I have to agree with Ridiculous, this is just another example of why churches are becoming less and less relevant to people. The more they push this sort of nonsense the quicker they will just become dusty old museums. This is why (other than in the US, which, no offense, always seems to exist in a slightly different world to the rest of us) religion is dying out so rapidly in the west.

14. Hexagon

I honestly don't see this as much of a problem. We already knew that the catholic church is full of homophobic jerks, and I'm not surprised when they behave like one. We can't force religion to like us, and given how irrelevant they are these days, it doesn't really matter if they do or not. I think people should have the right to belief what they want, and associate with who they want, and thats what they're doing. I happen to believe they're stupid.

15. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

i just have to give them credit for having major balls to say aything to us it takes balls to tell other people they are sinning when their own priests are doing something for worse then us , at least when we have sex its with consenting adults who want it.

16. eatsleepclimb

My local catholic church is liberal and would never do anything like that. Not all religion is evil, it is actually quite beautiful. What is bad is the people who choose to ignore the actual points of the religion (love your neighbor, don't judge etc) and focus on the rules like the ones in Leviticus that were actually just cultural/governmental laws and that defy everything that the religion stands for.

17. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

No it isn't.

18. GhostOfRazgriz

In my opinion, religion is similar to nuclear science. It can contribute so many amazing things to society, but it can also be abused to gain power over people. However, like nuclear science, I believe that the world is better off with religion than it is without it.

---------- Post added 6th May 2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

So religion isn't really evil, it's just abused. Like how nuclear science can make power plants, and bombs.

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I used to be a devout Catholic and went to Catholic school for 18 years...but I'm glad I got away from that religion, it will never accept equality for LGBTQ peeps.

This dirty hands thing is kinda funny though, cuz I used to always be thinking about the priest up there serving the communion bread, wondering what he might have been doing with those hands before he used then to place the bread in hundreds of peoples' mouths... :eek:

20. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Religion is a good thing when it gives people who would otherwise be lost a purpose in life, when it encourages them to be productive and decent members of society. I am an atheist and believe that religion is a great thing. The problem arises when people try to use religion as an excuse to push their personal beliefs, which may or may not have been influenced by their religion, on other people to the point where it has a negative impact on that persons life. I wish that religion was a redundant system, that it served no real purpose and that peoples lives could be great without it, but unfortunate we need religion in today's world and unfortunately, just as any other system, it is administered on Earth by beings with the potential to become corrupted or misguided.

#20 Byron, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013