1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Belize gay rights campaigner is facing more death threats, says lawyer

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, May 10, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Belize gay rights campaigner is facing more death threats, says lawyer | World news | guardian.co.uk

2. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't believe that Belize de-criminalised homosexuality, then re-criminalised it again, and if you're a foreigner, then you can be deported :O This is a beautiful country, but its laws are weird...

3. theMaverick

I hope that they decriminalize homosexuality because someday I wanted to move to Belize.

4. I'm going to Belize on a school expedition in August. I hope that when I get there I can say that I'm visiting a country that supports equality.
    Best of luck to him.

5. theMaverick

Okay, if I could go back in time, I want to go to school where you go to school. The biggest trip my school ever took was to the next town over and you're going to freaking Belize?! JEALOUS!

6. Beware Of You

Under the Belize Criminal Code, I can not be allowed admittance to the country because I have had sex with a guy. No idea on how they plan to enforce it, its actually becoming a thorn in the queen's side (Belize is a Commonwealth state) since she and the Royals are all for equality

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also there are Gay people in the Royal Family :slight_smile:

8. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My Geography teacher lived on one of the islands on Belize for about 6 years. She said they were very homophobic, and said she recomends that I don't visit there in the near future. Her brother is gay and even though he lives in he UK, she said that she faced a lot of harrasment and discrimination about that fact there. In the end she moved back to the UK, because she didn't want her daughter to be brought up in such an environment.

Her Belizian husband on the other hand... :bang:

---------- Post added 11th May 2013 at 02:50 PM ----------

I wouldn't bank on it tbh. The country is still very homophobic. Just don't tell people you're gay tough whatever you do. If the government is told, then you'll be arrested and deported. Once deported, you're never allowed back in :eek: