1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News "How they see us" booklet takes a look at the religious right's lies about LGBT life.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, May 12, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This pamphlet is really interesting. It takes a look at the lies that the religious right and have put out about homosexuality. It also includes old cartoons and quotes from the religious right and compares them.

Here is the link.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: "How they see us" booklet takes a look at the religious right's lies about LGBT l

Wow. They are determined sons of guns, but intellectual pursuits are clearly not their forte.

3. Hefiel

Re: "How they see us" booklet takes a look at the religious right's lies about LGBT l

Thanks for the link, definitively saving that one for future usage.

4. LailaForbidden

Okay these people make me sick but...LOL! Gay men stuff gerbils up their rectums?! oh my god that is hilarious.

5. Hefiel

That reminded me of this whole (fake) story. The story is freaking hilarious though, so long as it's not taken seriously.
    [YOUTUBE]3_Jt_g10Jug[/YOUTUBE]

6. LailaForbidden

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
    Yes. Just Yes.

7. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

WTF!?!

Was the guy who made the Barney Frank picture trying to pass it off as real? It's the shittiest, most poorly doctored photo I've ever seen!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I was actually kind of disappointed that I didn't see any Chick Tracts. The fundies in my family were always giving me those, but I wonder if they ever read any of them. Some of 'em were downright disturbing. Did anyone else read those?

8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

"Remember, 4% of the population are homosexuals yet they killed at least 68% of these murder victims!"

Whaaaa... whaaaa.... WHAT!?!

9. Candace

Thanks for the link. I find it quite amusing...and just shocking of how small-minded some people are....le sigh..

10. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

I think this should be taken with a grain of salt. It's written about the extreme right from what seems to be the extreme left. This extreme right type of garbage is typically written for the extreme right, and most likely is not being distributed beyond them. Don't let this aritcle fool you into thinking that every religious person or right leaning politician thinks this way.

On a related note, I find it funny that he has an entire section dedicated to the right's "cherry picking" when that's kinda what he's doing with this article. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

This does hit on the religious right's major arguments. I'm not saying that it covers every argument that they use against gay marriage and gay people in general, it just covers the main ones.

12. Hefiel

It's not cherry picking though, these truly are recurring "facts" that gets thrown around continuously in Churches, on TV, and also by politicians. There is some serious homophobia going on, and it's "facts" like these that continues to spread this vile hatred.

Like this: [YOUTUBE]d2n7vSPwhSU[/YOUTUBE]

13. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

That's truly an awful thing. But I'll say it again: that's not the normal view of the everyday person on the right. Now, none of this trash is helping (it is propaganda, after all), but to say that those views are mainstream would be the same as equating the ideology of the entire right with the views of the Westboro Baptist Church. The article does not make any effort to distinguish the extreme from the mainstream, and makes the extreme appear as though it's mainstream.

14. Hefiel

I get what you're saying, but I think most people are intelligent enough to not put all the apples in the same basket. However, the booklet references mostly prominent figures (Preachers, Politicians, Presidents of associations like "Family ..."), which are religious right wing organizations, who do have the power to influence a fairly significant chunk of the population. It's just much easier to label it "religious right", especially since the opposition is only coming from that side.

It's the same for any issues. Just look at Gun Control, they managed to make people believe that Obama was trying to take their guns away (factually wrong), and it worked. Fear-mongering is a wonderful tactic to scare people and get them to voice their "opinions", and when you've got people on TV saying "Gays are the same as pedophiles", "They're sinful people going to hell", "They're dangerous perverts turning your children gay", etc. it gets people afraid. It makes parents force their gay kids to go through Conversion Therapy (where torture [shock 'therapy'] and humiliation techniques are often used), or cut off contact with their kids altogether because it's seen as shameful to have gay kids, etc. It's terrible, but these messages ARE working. Not everyone is as extreme, but it's already too many.

15. Beware Of You

These "Christian" right, do they all have an IQ below 50 or something?

Seriously they are all cretins making up nonsense with no evidence or even basic logic. I wonder if that gerbil crap came about because the pastor saw the episode of Scrubs with the hamster that was rescued from the corpse's anus and thought it was a documentary.

Also I am a Christian, I don't believe homosexuality is any way wrong, I didn't choose to be this way so it makes no sense to be wrong, I believe in God and JC and I am probably a far better Christian than those guys, at least I treat everyone with respect unlike those lot

#15 Beware Of You, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013